A cross country move can cause excitement and at the same time cause anxiety, sadness and emotions. Tasks like deciding what to take along, figuring out how to pay for this big change in your life, arranging details with moving company, preparing for the adventure along with leaving home behind are to be taking care of.
Despite how hard the decision to move is – you have made it. No matter the reason behind your move, whether it’s your heart that’s leading you to a new home far away, maybe you got that killer job you have always wanted, or perhaps you are going to school, moving across the country is not an easy task.
Whether you are moving to a new neighborhood across the town or around the block, changing places is always a major decision. Long distance moves which include cross country travel increases the uneasiness and anxiety that comes with it. Unlike local moves which might only affect your zip code, long-distance or cross country moves do affect most significant aspects of your lifestyle.
You have to adapt to new friends and many changes when you move to your new place across the country. This sudden change could really get things messed up a little. However, to make this cross country move a smooth, easy and stress-free one, and to get in pace with your new home, there are many possible ways to it.
Moving Feedback offers different kinds of resources to help make the relocation process easier. All the information you need to handle the move like a pro is available here, from advice on finding the right mover to tips for staying right on track. This is one of the hundreds of useful tip posts to help you have a stress-free moving exercise. Let’s start with the best cross country movers of 2020.
Calculate Your Moving Cost in Few Seconds
The Best Cross Country Movers of 2020
As exciting as a long-distance move could be, it can also be overwhelming. When you choose the right cross country moving company as your mover, you have no reason to worry about your household belongings even though you have a lot of tasks at hand.
Avoid doing all the work alone if you don’t have an experienced team of cross country moving experts helping you with the move could make you encounter many difficult situations during the move. You may want to enlist the services of a highly reputable cross country relocation company if you do not have experience with a long distance move.
We have provided a list of reputable and reliable cross country moving companies below to help you in your decision if you are still not sure whether or not you need a cross country mover.
The Following are the Top Cross Country Movers of 2020:
1. Moving APT
Overall Rating 4.9 / 5
This company does all the work involved in cross country move for you. They will handle every of your needs by making use of their partnership with the best insured and bonded moving companies in the United States. They can provide you with reliable, affordable, and quality service with the help of this relationship with the movers.
The company has been operating for the past two decades and has been offering the best deals with the best moving companies. The company’s motto is “no stress, no worries” and is one of the most trusted companies that offer interstate relocation.
Moving APT has been handling logistics that involves household and business relocations out of country for almost two decades. Potential customers are encouraged to check out FAQs and see why their previous customers say about them and their ranking among the top cross country moving companies in the country.
2. Northern Moving Systems
Overall Rating 4.8 / 5
Embarking on a cross-country relocation can be stressful. Fortunately, this company is more than ready to handle the big move for you. Northern Moving Systems provides customers with moving services in a unique dimension. The company works with experts as their agents and delivers your belongings to your specified destination in good condition.
This cross country company is licensed and insured with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Northern Moving Systems can help you move to your desired destination anywhere regardless of the distance involved. The company makes sure you have a sweet moving experience by connecting you to the best agents.
3. Dedicated Van Lines
Overall Rating 4.8 / 5
This company has a full license and is properly bonded to provide full-service relocation across the country. The company is reputed to providing quality service and will pack your belongings with great care and have them delivered to your new destination without stress.
Make a reservation for a move with this company now and get your belongings delivered without wasting any of your time.
Dedicated Van Lines are equipped with experienced teams who are readily available to attend to your questions and also work with you as you plan the move. Dedicated Van lines also have their team of experienced movers that will help you with the packing of your belongings, especially when it involves special and delicate items. The company also provides storage services across the country.
4. iMoving - Online Moving Marketplace
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
Moving cross country is a process that involves many complications. This company will do all the hectic processes involved in finding a reputable, affordable, and quality cross country movers that will provide you with services that match your needs.
For those looking to move from one part of the country to another, iMoving will handle all the tasks involved and sees to it that your belongings are delivered to its new destination without any problem.
iMoving has a great number of reliable and experienced moving companies on their list, and these companies understand every customer’s needs when it comes to cross country move. The company partners with moving companies that will not cause you headaches all through the moving process.
You can rely on the company as they will deliver only the best service to you and nothing more. Regardless of the distance you are traveling, iMoving will help you handle every step of the process until your belongings get delivered to your specified destination.
5. Pricing Van Lines
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
Established at about two decades ago with two moving trucks and five staff members – Pricing Van Lines has grown over the years to become one of the top moving companies in the moving industry that provides quality services using relevant resources. The fact that this company has gained nationwide recommendation is not a surprise.
Pricing Van Lines is one of the best long-distance relocation brokers in the country. Premium services that will add value to your money are available with the company. You can always call the company to ask questions or speak to any of their available service representatives.
The company always aims at providing quality services to all of its clients. Pricing Van Lines is determined to offer the best and unmatched services to its clients, so they can always come to them for more.
6. First National Van Lines
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
First National Van Lines offers full-service, long-distance relocation from and to anywhere in the United States. First National Van Lines is a broker and not a Van Line, meaning that the company is not a cross country mover. Instead, the company outsources relocation services to companies that are accredited with FMCSA and also work with them to ensure customers get the best deal and quality services.
The customer service offered by this company is excellent and thus earns it a positive rating among many online review sites. Also, movers all across the country who are looking to get negotiable rates always opt for First National Van Lines due to the price-matching policy it offers.
7. Stevens Worldwide Van Lines
Overall Rating 4.6 / 5
Stevens Worldwide van lines have over 100 years of experience in professional moving. To have a perfect, smooth and stress-free journey across the country, this moving company is the answer. The company will take care of every part of the moving process even if it’s a move to Miami, New York or any destination in between the two.
The professional moving agents working at Stevens Worldwide provides essential and straightforward moving services for easy and safe cross country relocation without guessing. The size of your home, your needs, number of items, moving timeline will all be evaluated together with the assessment of your home’s space.
8. Two Men And A Truck
Overall Rating 4.6 / 5
It requires a unique approach if you want to add flexibility to your cross country move. The affordable Value Flex service provided by Two Men and A Truck may be the perfect option for you. By efficiently and effortlessly planning a move logistics, this company is able to offer a reduction in price on Value Flex cross county moves.
The stress-free packing and moving services customers always expect from their local relocations along with same great customer service are both provided to customers who need cross country relocation services on a budget by this Value Flex. This company employ trained, permanent, background-checked, and professional movers to handle your belongings so you can have peace of mind.
9. North American Van Lines
Overall Rating 4.5 / 5
In the United States, North American Van Lines is one of the best cross country movers. This company has over 500 moving agents in North America. All shipment are being monitored at all time by their satellite tracking system. Without using a loading dock, the company load and unload large items using a crane.
North American Van Lines operates 1,694 moving trucks and has about 8,000 employees. The distance travelled by their vehicles was estimated to 37,256,707 miles. They offer domestic, corporate and international moves for their customers.
Overall Rating 4.4 / 5
This company has over 90 years of leading experience in the cross country moving business. This company highly understands the fear, stress, and anxiety their customers have when planning to relocate families and all of their personal belongings cross country.
For almost a century, this company has been moving valued customers and their highly prized belongings across the country, and as such, they remain America’s most trusted moving company.
Mayflower will help you from the early stage of planning your cross country move, to moving your items, supporting you throughout the journey with moving tools and tips, as well as all you will need to make your move success. The wide range of experience this company has always come into play and gives customers a seamless cross country move experience.
The company also offer their customers checklists, moving tools, moving tips and other valuable resources apart from the provision of full moving services that you may need such as storage, packing, loading, cleaning, moving and so on.
Moving Cost Calculator
Expected Costs of Cross Country Move
To make the right decisions during your cross country, estimating the costs of hiring a moving company will be of great help. Knowing in advance how much movers in various moving services will charge you is ideal even though there are many important things to consider. When embarking on a long distance move, you have three options.
Hire a professional moving company, use a done-for-you container service or use a DIY option by renting a truck and vehicle. Let’s estimate moving costs for a typical one- to four-bedroom moderately furnished apartment of between 1000 – 2000 miles distance away from your old home.
To do-it-yourself, you will rent a moving truck or trailer for about $3,000. A good alternative to moving all by yourself is container services which cost about $4,500. It will cost you around $1,000 per room depending on the weight of the items in each room if you are opting for a professional moving company with full services.
Some people will have items stacked to the ceiling while some will have a few light pieces of furniture. Discuss your inventory with a professional moving company to get a true and accurate estimate.
Cost of DIY Move
Do-it-yourself (DIY) is less expensive, but you will pay with your precious time and fatigue compared to hiring professional moving companies. Renting a moving trailer or truck can be an affordable alternative to hiring professional moving companies or container services. This option might be a perfect option if your possessions don’t require special care or special package. Meanwhile, the peace of mind and protection afforded by professional movers is not available when moving by yourself.
Having an experienced partner will be of great help because moving can be so stressful. Your experienced ally will perform most of the heavy lifting of your large belongings, provide moving and packing resources needed for the relocation and also set up storage upon arrival. It is essential to know the type of protection your possessions will require while moving across state lines should anything happen to them on the move.
You will ask yourself if cutting out the middle man is worth it in the end. There is not much difference for smaller moves, but you could save up to $1,000 in a four bedroom DIY move.
- To relocate a studio, you can expect to pay between $750 and $1,500
- To relocate a two-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $1,900 and $2,500
- To relocate a two-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $2,900 and $3,500
- To relocate a four-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $5,500 and $8000
Cost of Moving with Container Services
The most popular alternative to DIY move is container services which cost about $4,500 and also provide you with some of the benefits being offered by professional movers without the overhead costs. The company handles transportation while you handle the packing. If you have special moving needs, fine artwork, or large screen TVs, container services might not be a great alternative because the services differ in price and feature offerings.
You may find that these moving services are not as helpful as hiring a full-service cross country moving company because it takes a hands-off, budget-friendly approach.
|Move’s size||for 1000 miles||for 2000 miles|
|Studio (~2,000 pounds)||$1,500||$2,250|
|1-bedroom (2,500 – 3,500 pounds)||$1,800 – $2,500||$2,800 – $3,500|
|2-bedroom (5000 – 6,000 pounds)||$2,500 – $4,000||$4,400 – $6,000|
|3-bedroom (7,500 – 10,000 pounds)||$3,500 – $6,500||$5,500 – $8,500|
|4-bedroom (10,000 – 15,000 pounds)||$6,500 – $9,000||$ 8,500 – $12,000|
How much do Movers Cost?
The most popular way to relocate cross country is through professional moving companies. You will have your belongings in safe hands although at a higher price. To handle your precious belongings and highly prized furniture, the company will provide their own equipment and supplies. Thinking of how much professional mover hiring will cost you? Depending on the number of your belongings and the size of your house, a professional moving company can cost $7,500 upward.
The cost is usually $1,000 per room which includes the provision of full-service from the planning stage up to moving day. Costs are primarily based on weight and may vary. In a move of 1,000 miles for instance:
- To relocate a studio, you can expect to pay between $1000 and $2,000
- To relocate a two-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $2,500 and $4,000
- To relocate a two-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $4,500 and $6,000
- To relocate a four-bedroom, you can expect to pay between $6,500 and $9000
Don’t forget the fact that there are some hidden associated costs with DIY. Budget right to include all these hidden expenses to avoid failure at the end of the day. If you can’t handle DIY, request quotes from professional movers and compare. Don’t try what you cannot do!
The Ultimate Cross Country Checklist
It can be a very stressful task while moving cross country. You can, however, make this task an easy and smooth one with proper planning and by making use of our cross country moving checklist. For your next important move, we have weekly tips that will help you do the move the right way. As you complete each of the tasks on this moving checklist, simply cross it off and move to the next one. Relocating doesn’t have to be a stressful task with our helpful tips and the right preparation.
Below are a stage-by-stage weekly cross country moving checklist:
14 Weeks before Moving
- Moving across the country is not cheap; hence, you need to set a budget. Choose how your belongings will be transported to your new home and also determine your budget. Pick-up-and-go- pods, professional movers, truck rental or an alternative moving solution are part of the things to decide on. Do not rule out any moving option without a proper look into its pricing because the cost of a cross country move depends on varieties of factors.
- Estimating the cross country moving costs is the next line of action once you have decided on a moving method. From the cost of packing tape to a box of donuts for the movers, include as many expenses as you can think of; so you can have a smooth move.
- Start researching and collecting estimates if you are hiring professional moving companies. Get your choice booked earlier once you decide on the time of move whether during peak seasons such as spring and summer.
- Arrange final appointments for your family, pets and yourself. Once you made a move, this will give you enough time to find a good doctor.
- Look for a real estate agent in your locality to help you develop a timeline for listing if you are selling your home.
12 Weeks before Moving
- Decide on the mode of traveling whether train, plane or automobile. Make arrangements for shipping motorcycles, boats or cars, and book tickets if needed.
- Decide on the moving company you will hire and get writing confirmation of the moving date and time. Also, confirm the budget estimates and insurance policies. Find a new school and make necessary arrangements for enrolment of your kids if you are moving in the middle of the school calendar.
10 Weeks before Moving
- Inform your older kids about the move. They will get the opportunity of preparing a moving packing list for their items, get excited about their new hometown and say a proper good-bye to their friends with this time frame.
- Get the blueprints of your new house if you can. This gives you enough time to downsize what might not fit in, and also plan where furniture and other large items belong.
8 Weeks before Moving
- Apart from the items that will move with the moving company or mail, make a list of your belongings that will move with you. Items movers might not be willing to move for you such as alcohol and firearms; your important documents, computer backups, and pieces of jewellery are also things that should be on this list.
- Get moving boxes, tacking tape, bubble wrap, zip ties, and other packing supplies.
6 Weeks before Moving
- Belongings you won’t need within the next six weeks are the one to be packed first. Holiday decorations, movie collections, book collections, and out-of-season clothing, dishware you use just once in a year are all in this category.
- Contact the company that provides you with insurance to see if you will need extra protection in your new home and also if your current insurance coverage can be transferred. For example, you might want to add flood insurance to your policy if you are moving to a flood-prone country from the Midwest.
- Look for a sublease if your rent or lease will not expire before the move.
4 Weeks before Moving
- Check with places or services for appointments such as children’s schools, your physicians, car service shops and others. Ensure you have access to important information online or you get hard copies of such records.
- Drop off unwanted items at the donation center in your location or host a garage sale. With this method, you will not have to pack or pay for items you no longer have a use for.
- Prepare for resistance from your younger kids once you tell them about the move. Be sure you have and ready to share information about the new home, local items, clubs, school district and other changes that might require an explanation.
3 Weeks before Moving
- Arrange your plants either give it to your friend or nursing home, or you prepare to move it yourself because most moving companies won’t take them.
- Cancel any local subscriptions and contact the post office of your change in address.
- Start packing other nonessentials.
- Make sure you cancel or if possible transfer any library cards, award programs, clubs or gym memberships.
- Empty the contents and wrap the pieces of your furniture securely in bubble wrap if you are shipping it cross country.
2 Weeks before Moving
- Also, inform your bank about your move. If it is a local branch, be prepared to switch over accounts and empty any of your safe deposit boxes.
- Take your car in for an oil change and general check-up if you are driving yourself.
- Get the fixed date, time and location from your moving company.
- Contact cable, internet and the utility company of a turn-off and turn-on date at your old and new place respectively.
- Disassemble any furniture that you built to create more space and take proper records of each step to make it easier when you are putting it back together. Store all hardware and screws in a labelled plastic bag.
- Drain any water or oil from lawn mowers, snow blowers, hoses, fountains and other large outdoor equipment. Dash out propane tanks.
1 Week before Moving
- Fill out all necessary prescriptions.
- Back up your computer and pack the actual computer separately from your hard drive so that you don’t lose the two at a time.
- Conclude the packing except for items that are not necessary at the moment. Give each member a duffel bag or suitcase for travel.
- Meals that require minimal tools and preparation time should be planned out. For the remaining days of the week, use what you can from your pantry.
- To have a record of all your belongings to be moved, make a list or take pictures of them in batches. Ensure you label and mark all boxes as required.
A Few Days before Moving
- Clean out your house, inside large appliances and all surfaces one last time. You can also hire a professional cleaner for the job.
- Take any items that are not yet opened to a local food pantry and clean out the cupboards and fridge.
- Fill your car up with gas or print boarding passes and check into flights.
- Put in specific area items that the movers are not taking or pack up your car if possible in a garage where your belongings can’t get stolen.
- Ensure a major storm will not interfere with your move by checking the weather.
- Make sure you have enough cash to spend in an emergency as well as to tip the movers.
The Day of Moving
- Ensure all your belongings are loaded in the moving truck or your vehicle by using your moving day checklist.
- Make sure your pet(s) is properly hydrated, fed and readily prepared for travel.
- Arrive at the location at least two hours before the move.
- Before you depart, sweep the house one last time to ensure you are not leaving any valuable items behind.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the cost of a cross country moving company?
The average cost of hiring a local moving company for a local move will be about $300 to $1,500 based on the size of the move. Moving long-distance will cost about $2,400 to $5,000 based on the distance and the size of your move. Moving cross country comes with higher costs than relocating to a nearby state.
How can a reliable cross country mover be discovered?
Following these great tips for selecting a quality moving company will lead you straight to a reputable mover:
- Conduct online research on movers
- Read reviews on movers
- Obtain an in-home moving estimate
- Find out if there are any future additional fees
- Double-check your moving paperwork.
Is moving furniture across the country worth the task?
Since short-distance moves are generally considered cheaper for long-distance moves, it is very sure that moving your old furniture to your new place will also be less expensive than purchasing new ones. The overall moving cost of your cross country move will be determined by the actual weight of the items you packed.
How much should I expect to pay to move a 4-bedroom house cross country?
Transporting four bedrooms across the country will cost an average of $7,700 to $12,800; however, packing by yourself and paying only for shipping may beat down the cost to about $2,700. Look forward to paying about $5,300 to $15,800 if you plan to hire a full-service mover.
Can I tip movers?
No moving company adds tipping in their pricing as tip is considered a nice gesture for a good job done. Normally, the tip you give your mover should fall in between 15 and 20% of the overall moving cost for huge moves and 5 to 10% of small-sized moves.
What will movers refuse to move?
Do not expect moving companies to move nitric acid, muriatic acid, and batteries with acid for you. Make sure any batteries you are moving are the non-spillable type. The movers will also not allow you to load valuables like stock certificates, cash, jewelry, and important documents in the moving truck.
How long in advance should I arrange movers?
A couple of months to your move date is normal. However, if you are moving on short notice, a minimum of 4 weeks is nice. Note that the choice of moving companies you will have when you have not more than a month to your move will be limited. Majority of good and reliable moving companies are booked 2 to 3 months in advance.
When do you pay moving companies, before or after?
You will not be required to pay cash or any upfront before you are moved by reputable moving companies. Your payment is generally accepted after delivery. You will lose total control over the arrival of your possessions when you make a deposit. Also, when you pay, make sure your payment is sent through credit card in order to be able to get to the root of any fraudulent activity.
How can I hire movers cross country?
Things to do during the process of hiring cross country moving company include:
- Identify the reasons for hiring a mover
- Seek for recommendations
- Obtain moving estimates
- Discover if the moving companies are licensed and insured
- Determine the level of experience and professionalism of the moving crew
- Ask about moving agents
- Read reviews.
How much does a cross country move cost with pods?
Moving a PODS long-distance will cost an average of $1,237 to $2,999. Some factors which include the size, distance, location, and quantity of pods needed to transport to your new home will determine your specific pricing. Obtaining a personalized online moving quote will help you get the most accurate pricing for your upcoming relocation.
What is the cost of moving a house that measures 2000 sq-ft?
Moving a whole house cost $12 to $16 for each sq-ft of a home being the industry average. It would help if you were looking to pay about $32,000 to move a home that measures 2,000 sq-ft. This cost is excluding the cost of the new parking space or foundation. Are you interested in knowing the cost of relocating a mobile home? Read the post.
Though there are a number of moving companies in the industry, reputable cross country movers are not easy to come by. This is as a result of the uniqueness of the move. If you know all it takes to move across the country, you are a step away from choosing the right cross country movers. This comprehensive guide has discussed all you need to know as regards your cross country move. We have also listed top cross country movers you can consider for your move. Have you moved across the country before? Let’s hear your view in the comment box!