Moving industry today has become one large family where you have a variety of options to select from, in a bid to make your move much more affordable and stress-free. This emergence of different moving options is due to the various needs of the consumers and increasing demands for moving services in diverse categories.
According to studies, about 15 percent of Americans move or relocate every year, and this is a significant increase compared to last two decade. Whichever move it is, whether long distance or local move, there are options available for your need. The major two moving options a consumer can choose from are either full-service moves or do-it-yourself (DIY) moves.
In full-service moves, moving companies take control of your entire moves ranging from packing, disassembling of your sofa and other pieces of furniture, loading and unloading the moving truck, to driving the truck to your new home. A reputable full-service company includes all these services in its quote with insurance package and required liability protection for your household items during moving based on your need. This is the best option for those who are busy and don’t want to involve themselves too much in various moving activities but this can cost up to $4,000 to $10,000 based on your distance.
However, if you are not busy and you are ready to lift heavy furniture and other items yourself, Do-it-yourself (DIY) move is an option you can consider to reduce the costs of moving. This option entails that you will be in control of your move, packing your belongings, renting truck, loading boxes into the truck, driving it, and unloading it when you get to your destination. If you have chosen to go for the DIY move, there a lot of posts and tip on this site to help you move successfully.
To make the work easier for you, some services in the moving industry offer professional moving help services popular called “moving labor.” Moving labor services help you to handle some of the moving activities such as packing, loading, and unloading of your belongings and the services are charged per hourly rate or based on your agreement with service provider.
While hiring moving labor is more expensive than a full DIY option, there are numerous benefits attached to moving labor service. If you are using do-it-yourself option and want to move like a pro, moving labor is what you need. Wondering where you can get moving labor, this post will not only suggest places you can find moving labor but also cover all you need to know about the service. Read on to discover them all.
Top 6 Places to get Moving Labor in 2020
When you decide to opt for a do-it-yourself (DIY) move, it means you have concluded to take care of the entire move including planning and thinking of where to get moving labor to help you pack and load your belongings. Do you just stumble on the internet and begin to search for one or you ask a friend? Moving labors are not everywhere – getting first-hand information about a particular moving labor service gives you peace of mind that you are at the safe hands.
Highlighted below are some top places you can get moving labors for your move:
Overall Rating 4.1 / 5
HireAHelper has been around for a while to serve the moving needs of the DIY move. On this platform, you will not only find moving labors to help you load and unload your truck, but you can also rent varieties of moving trucks for your move. They have different categories of moving labors ranging from “parking lot” day laborers to professional movers. Some of them are multitasking – ready to handle every aspect of your move to ensure your do-it-yourself (DIY) move is successful.
Moving labors on this website come from various platforms such as family-run independent movers, local moving labor companies, national day labor chains, and as well as full-service professional movers. Regardless of the nature of the help, you need – packing, unpacking, loading, and unloading the trucks or portable storage containers, you will find the help you need on HireAHelper. You only need to search by entering your zip code and date to find the right laborers or helpers for your move.
Overall Rating 4 / 5
Movers Corp is an online marketplace for both moving labor services and local moving companies. Consumers come to the platform to search, compare and get instant moving helps they need. Both local moving helpers and movers come to the website and enlist their services for online reservation. Search the platform by entering your zip code and moving the date to see the available services for your locality.
You will see necessary information of the companies such as insurance information, license, and as well as customers’ rating and reviews to help you make the right decision. Movers Corp helps you find service provider that offer cost-effective and top-notch moving labor service for do-it-yourself (DIY) consumers.
Moving Help can help you source for moving labors nearest to you; so, you don’t need to spend extra travel cost of farther packers. You can search for nearby movers and get their contact details the same moment. One of the qualities that make Moving Help outstanding among others is its easy payment method that allows consumers to make payment online before the move.
They stand in the gap between you and moving labor services. You only need to give your moving helper the Payment Code at the completion of the entire job, and the website handles the rest.
Overall Rating 4.2 / 5
Movers.com was founded in 1994 by a mover from California that had been in the moving industry for over 30 years before that time. It was established to offer solution to uncommon moving needs of the consumers especially in the areas of DIY moves. Since its emergence, it has been a marketplace for local and long distance moving companies, moving labors, truck rental, auto transport, storage container companies, and much more.
It only takes three steps to hire professional moving helpers of your choice to help you pack, load, unload, and unpack your belongings. All the moving labors on the platform were handpicked to offer professional packing services and ensure your move is easy and smooth throughout the moving processes. Search for moving labor, read and compare customers’ reviews, and book online with the date of your move.
Overall Rating 4 / 5
MovingLabor.com is another national moving labor company where you can get reliable, professional, and affordable moving labor helps for your move. The company was founded in 2004 and has been serving the moving help needs of the consumers since then. Apart from others which serve as marketplaces for moving companies, MovingLabor.com is one of the few companies that specialize in providing experienced moving labor to people that need help lifting heavy furniture, packing, loading and unloading truck. So, if you need help loading and unloading your rented moving truck, trailer, or storage container, MovingLabor.com is a direct service to provide such help.
They offer their clients with top-notch and affordable moving labor service you can depend on, without any intermediary between you and the company as seen on the marketplaces. MovingLabor.com aims to bring integrity and reliability back to the relocation industry even now when there are high demands for moving labor to compliment do-it-yourself moves of the consumers. The company does equip her moving specialists with rigorous and lengthy training scheme to allow them to understand and deliver customized moving needs that your move demands.
6. Simple Moving Labor
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
With over 150,000 customers, Simple Moving Labor is another direct moving labor service that has been offering a moving solution since 2007. They are equipped with experience packing experts who are committed to ensure your move is done with peace of mind before, during, after the exercise. You can get moving labors to load and unload your truck in a timely manner. You can get an online quote in a matter of minutes and can as well speak with an online representative to perfect every arrangement regarding your moving needs.
Simple Moving Labor always aims at 5-star services to make their customers asking for more. No wonder the company is rated A+ by the BBB. They can as well help you plan your DIY move by providing required online resources for planning your do-it-yourself (DIY) move.
The following table displays the best Places to get Moving Labors
|No.||The Best Places To Get Moving Labors||Website|
|6.||Simple Moving Labor||www.simplemovinglabor.com|
What is Moving Labor?
Moving labor service can be described as a professional service offered to people who decide to move through do-it-yourself option, but need help packing, loading the truck, moving heavy items such furniture and other household items, unloading the truck, and carry out other laborious moving activities. Moving laborers are experienced and trained to handle rigorous moving tasks to ensure a successful and smooth moving exercise. While some moving labor service providers specialize in some specific services – loading and unloading only, some other service providers offer full-service moving including labor services.
Based on your needs, you can hire moving laborers to disassemble and reassemble furniture, pack and unpack boxes, load and unload the truck, and performing other tasks in the process. However, you can as well limit their services to some laborious tasks such as lifting heavy furniture or items, loading and unloading the truck if you have decided to handle part of the tasks such as packing and unpacking by yourself to reduce cost. Hiring this service is a straightforward and one of the most cost-effective. Let’s briefly discuss how it works.
DIY Move Using Moving Labor – How it Works
When it comes to using moving labor to complement your do-it-yourself move, one may get confused about how it works. In a simple language, moving laborers undertake physical and experienced requirements to help consumers move their belongings for a successful relocation. It is a way of making your “do-it-yourself move” or “self-move” more convenient and stress-free. Regardless of the methods, you want to use for your move, moving labor services apply to all.
However, if you decide to perform the rigorous tasks of moving your moving boxes, disassembling and reassembling your furniture, loading and unloading the truck by yourself, you may not need moving labor. But to be truthful to you, all these activities are not something one should subject his or herself to if you are not professional in these fields. If you have decided to use the do-it-yourself move and want to use moving labor service to reduce the stress associated with DIY move, below are the steps involved:
Step #1: Rent the Moving Truck, Trailer, or Container
You can’t talk about do-it-yourself move without renting truck rentals, moving trailers, or portable storage containers. They are readily available and affordable compared to hiring professional moving services. There are many truck rental companies you can consider for this purpose. Read our post on Best Moving Truck Rental Companies.
Step #2: Hire Moving Labor
Hiring moving labor is one of the flexible processes in the moving industry. You can hire moving labor services which are specialized in each of the tasks such as packing the boxes, loading the truck, unloading the truck, disassembling and reassembling of furniture, and as well as hiring a service to take care of all the tasks involved in your move. Hiring moving labor service means that you are at the liberty to hands off or on, when you are moving to a new place. They are skilled in performing these tasks because that is what they do for a living. The question is “where can I get moving labor”? This will be discussed later in this post.
Step #3: Save Money
The significant reason for opting for a “self-move” or “do-it-yourself move” is to save cost. You choose this method because you may not be able to afford over $4,000 moving companies will charge you for your move. Hence, in your quest to reduce your costs of moving, you can further cut down the cost by handling part of the move like packing and unpacking. However, the truth is that you can actually save up to 40 to 60% on moving costs compared to hiring a professional mover.
How are Moving Labor Costs Calculated?
When it comes to price factors of moving labor service, one may be wondering how much it would cost to hire moving laborers? While hiring a team to help you pack your items, load and unload moving truck does not come cheap, it is not a breakneck cost. The rates charged vary and these are based on some factors and may range from hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the volume of belongings to pack and load onto the truck. Your budget will determine whether to outsource the entire packing tasks to moving labor or part of it to reduce the cost. The demanding and time-consuming natures of completing most of the moving tasks are expected to come with an extra cost, but the benefits cannot be overemphasized.
To accurately estimate the cost of hiring moving labor services, below factors are considered to help in determining the costs:
- The Volume of Household Items Involved: The volume of your stuff to be moved is one of the significant factors to determine the cost of moving labor. There are different sizes of moves such as one-bedroom moves, two-bedroom moves, three-bedroom moves, and much more. Is your apartment full of possessions or only one room is loaded with stuff to pack? This determines the cost of moving labor to move those belongings. When you call on moving labor service for an in-house inspection, ensure you show the team the entire items to be moved during your move. However, some experienced moving labor services can guess the average volume of your items when you tell them the size of the apartment to give you a rough estimate.
- Duration of Packing: After figuring out the volume of items to move, moving labor services use the time it will take them to pack those stuff into the truck and unload the same into your new home to determine how much to charge you. This may be based on hourly rate or one-off charge. It implies that the more items to move, the longer the time required packing them and considerably, the higher the overall cost you will pay.
- Specialty Items: In the case of specialty items such as valuables, antique furniture, artworks, glass items, and other related items that require extra care to pack, you may be charged additional packing cost. Hence, if you are in possession of any of such specialty items, you should prepare to pay more, as some of these kinds of stuff may require customized crating as a solution to pack them. For example, moving a pool table can automatically affect your initial packing cost estimate.
- Packing Supplies: Some professional moving labors offer packing and other moving materials to ease their job on the field. While submitting a quote for your packing service, packing materials including moving boxes of different sizes, wardrobe boxes, furniture blankets, dish packs, stretch tape, Bubble wrap, packing paper, packing tape, and other moving supplies are incorporated into the estimate with a great deal compared to buying elsewhere.
How much does it Cost to Hire Moving Laborers?
The costs of hiring moving laborers vary from company to company. While all of them will base their estimates on the above factors, you will always have different deals from various moving labor services. This is one of the reasons you shouldn’t rush to accept the first offer that comes your way. It is advisable to request for quotes from various (at least three) moving labor services and compare them to choose the one that fits into your budget. Remember, this post is focusing on hiring moving labor service to help you in your do-it-yourself (DIY) move and not a full-service professional moving service.
Most moving labor services do charge consumers on two different rates namely – hourly rate and flat rate and as well adds some other costs to come up with an overall packing cost. Let’s shed more light on this.
Hourly-Rate for Professional Packing Services
Hourly-rate for professional packing services means that consumers are charged based on the number of hours involved in packing and unpacking their items throughout the move. The number of hours required to move a 1-bedroom or college apartment is different from the cost of moving a 3-bedroom apartment. It is worthy of mentioning that, the higher the number of packers the lower the hour required to get your job done.
Below is what is involved in hourly-rate professional moving labor services:
- Average Packing Price: The typical national average cost of hiring moving laborers on an hourly rate starts from around $35 – $40 per hour per packer and can go as high as $60 per hour per one packing specialist. These are the ranges, but you can get a good deal based on your bargaining power which may include the relationship between you and the companies.
- Additional Packing Professionals: If it takes six hours for one packer to pack some particular household items, there is no doubt you would reduce the time of packing by increasing the number of packers. It means paying $50 per hour for one packer to pack such a volume of items will cost you $300. If you request additional packers, it may turn out to be a win-win situation. Ask me how? Some moving labor services do offer a great deal when you request for additional packing professionals for your work. Instead of paying $50 per hour, you may be offered a discount to pay $40 per hour for each packer you use, and at the same time, your items will be packed in a timely manner.
- Travel Fee. The costs incurred by moving laborers to get to your location can sometimes be added to your cost of hiring them. This is based on the distance of your home to the company you are hiring for the job. Most times, one extra hourly rate is used as a standard to calculate travel fee. However, some moving labor services don’t charge this, while some do.
Flat-Rate for Professional Packing Services
It is worthy of note that the fixed rate for professional packers largely depends on the size of the move which indicate weight and volume of your belongings. The larger the size of your move, the higher the rate charged to move the items therein. In this type of charge, the moving labor service charges you a flat of fixed rate and not on an hourly basis. The charge is based on the size of your home.
Below is what is involved in fixed-rate professional moving labor services:
- 1-Bedroom Apartment: The typical weight of household items in a single bedroom apartment is approximately 3,000 Ibs and the typical moving labor packing cost range from $300 – $400. On the customary, it will take two packing specialists to pack the apartment in 3 – 4 hours. Packing supplies cost for such size of move range from $100 – $150. So, if you have not gotten your moving supplies and materials, ensure you budget for this extra cost.
- 2-Bedroom Home: The typical weight of household items in a two-bedroom home is approximately 5,000 Ibs and the typical moving labor packing cost range from $450 – $600. On the customary, it will also take two professional packers to pack the apartment in 3 – 5 hours. Packing supplies cost for such size of move range $150 – $250. So, if you have not gotten your moving supplies and materials, ensure you budget for this extra cost.
- 3-Bedroom Home: The typical weight of household items in a three-bedroom apartment is approximately 9,000 Ibs and the typical moving labor packing cost range from $600 – $750. On the customary, it will take three packing specialists to pack the apartment in 3 – 6 hours. Packing supplies cost for such size of move range $250 – $350. So, if you have not gotten your moving supplies and materials, ensure you budget for this extra cost.
- 4-bedroom home: The typical weight of household items in a single bedroom apartment is approximately 10,000 Ibs and the typical moving labor packing cost range from $750 – $1,200. On the customary, it will take four professional packers to pack the apartment in 5 – 6 hours. Packing supplies cost for such size of move range $300 – $450. So, if you have not gotten your moving supplies and materials, ensure you budget for this extra cost.
You would be wondering why it is so costly to hire moving labor. However, when you compare the benefits of hiring moving labor, you would discover there is value for such an amount. Now, let’s briefly discuss why you should hire moving labor to help you load and unload your household items.
Why Hiring Moving Labors?
One of the obvious advantages of hiring moving labor services to help you in your DIY move is to take the stress off you and make you move like a pro, even while doing it yourself. Lifting heavy furniture and other related fragile household items during a move can be tasking and challenging, and this is a reason you need them to handle it professionally. This is just one of the benefits, as there are many others people don’t realize.
Highlighted below is a list of other benefits of hiring moving labors:
- Reduce the Rate of Damage: If you handle your packing and loading by yourself, there is a tendency you would accidentally damage some items. If you want to avoid damaging your items, give the work to the professionals. Packing specialists will ensure your belongings are packed and loaded correctly to minimize and prevent the probability of damaged or broken items.
- Maximize Usable Space: Professional moving labors understand the logic of packing space management; hence, they will pack and load your moving truck like a puzzle game to maximize space and accommodate more stuff. If you don’t want to pay for an additional truck or vehicle, give the job to moving labor service.
- Faster Packing and Loading: Professional packers are equipped with skills to pack and load your items faster than personal packing or when you ask your friends to help you. Maximize your moving time by hiring moving labors.
Save Money: If you compare the cost of hiring moving labors to ask your friends or relatives (which you would need to compensate them with meals and beer) to help you with packing and loading, you will discover it is cost-effective to hire packing specialists who deliver your work without a mistake. Calculating the amount spent on meals and beer, you would agree with me that professional packers are a saver.
How to Find the Right Moving Labor Service
Having known top places to get moving labor, it is essential to talk about hiring the right moving labor service for your move. Hiring moving labor is not the same as hiring the right moving labor. There have been some rare cases where consumers hire moving labors, but turned out to make the move a nightmare due to their unruly behavior while discharging their duties. There are steps you can take to cross-check their qualities whether they are the right team to do the job or not. The right moving labor entails that you are choosing helpers who are licensed, reliable, and affordable.
Below are some tips to find the right and reliable moving labor for your move:
- Go to moving labor websites as listed above to search for moving labor service and get quotes from different moving labor companies or service providers. Then, compare the rate and as well as their terms and conditions.
- After choosing 3 or 4 service providers for a possible screening, go ahead and read customer reviews about them to find out which moving labors you can finally settle for.
- Don’t forget to check the business credentials and list of equipment based on your moving needs.
- Notify the companies of any special requirements involved in the move to avoid misunderstanding.
- Compare quotes based on price and quality to choose the best one.
- Leave a review on the moving labor service when the move is completed. This will help other prospective consumers in need of moving labors to choose right.
Moving labor services have small population among other moving categories in the industry; hence, it is very easy to fall victim of unreliable moving labor services. Thinking of moving labor implies that you had decided to use do-it-yourself move, and weighed various options of getting it done such as hiring friends and relative to help you pack and load your rented truck. It means you want the best for your DIY move since you couldn’t afford full-service professional mover or you decided to use DIY move to be in control of your move. Hence, getting the right moving labor service is nonnegotiable. This post has discussed all you need to know regarding “where to get moving labor. Stay tuned for more informative posts on this page!