If you find your way to this post, the chance is that you are searching for the best truck rental company to handle your move; which means you are probably looking for a reliable and affordable moving process to maximize the cost of moving. Your option to go for a moving truck for your move is on point, as it has been one of the ways to save the cost of moving.
However, while many truck rental companies may seem the best in terms of price, there are other factors to consider when choosing the best company for your move. Moving Feedback spent much time researching and assessing the top leading truck rental companies based on the quality of service offering, available truck sizes, equipment, various truck selections, and rental locations.
Are you ready to move to your new long distance home at an affordable cost? If you have tried to get a good deal from moving companies but turn out the other way, renting a moving truck is an option to explore for your next relocation. Considering the average cost of hiring a professional mover for about $2,500 or per hour charge, you can save some big bucks hiring a truck company.
You tend to have full control over the time and schedule of your move with a truck rental service. You have the advantage of being in the control of your belonging and won’t need to wait on moving company or leave your belongings to some total strangers. The good news is that there are a number of truck rental companies out there that can make your move as successful as possible. Let’s dive into this.
The Best Moving Truck Rental Companies for your Move
While there are hundreds of local truck rental companies in most cities, there are limited ones to select from, nationally. Our list contains top five companies that have been tested and trusted regarding service delivery and other qualities. This review includes all you need to know about each of the best national truck rental companies. They are as follows:
Overall Rating 4.8 / 5
It is not an overstatement to say that U-Haul is the most popular truck rental company having more than 20,000 locations all over the United States and branches in Canada. Moving trucks are available in all 50 states of the US and 10 provinces of Canada. The company is equipped with a variety of moving truck sizes, cargo vans and pickup trucks. The trucks are designed to save cost on fuel for affordable household moving with easy loading and unloading technology.
U-Haul makes moving as easy as possible in terms of logistics and every other thing to make your moving as smooth as possible. It has the largest and widest coverage of rental location networks worldwide.
In addition to U-Haul’s truck fleet, it also provides car carrier and moving trailer rentals in case you chose to use your vehicle for your move. All the trucks are designed with overhead storage compartment and attic to accommodate more pieces of luggage and for fragile item separations from other loads respectively.
Apart from truck rental, U-Haul is also involved in selling packing materials and boxes and as well as renting out furniture pads and hand trucks. U-Haul can also assist in finding truck loaders to make your move less-stressful for you.
The following details about U-Haul summarize the company service delivery:
- Over 20,000 in U.S. and Canada.
Available Vehicle Types and sizes
- Trucks: 10’-, 14 -, 15’-, 17’-, 20’-, 24’-, 26’- foot
- Trailers: Cargo – Utility – Car
- Pickup Cargo Vans
- Ubox® Containers
- Largest coverage with the widest selection of trucks trailers and pick up vans for rent.
- Towing service availability with even the lowest truck.
- With its one-way equipment rental, U-Haul has a one-month free self-storage facility.
- The company offers portable storage box to movers and consumers.
- It also sells storage or packing materials such as boxes, bubble wraps, tapes, plastic wraps, furniture pads, and much more.
- Can handle both short and long distance moves
- U-Haul is responsible for every inconvenience caused by the company through its package – For every piece of equipment reserved but not available, the consumer gets $50.
- You can reserve your needs with cash, debit or credit cards.
2. Budget Truck Rental
Overall Rating 4.7 / 5
Budget Truck Rental is known for its ability to offer the best price ever compared to other companies. It always tries to match the prices of competitors to offer coupons and promotions to consumers. Research shows that Budget Truck Rental offers the best rates to users who book their truck in advance, say between late weekends (Sunday) to mid weekdays (Thursday).
Apart from this, there is a special discount package for students, seniors, and AARP, firefighters, EMT, military personnel, Bar Association members, veterans, and motor club.
However, the company has a limited truck size offer compare to U-Haul which is equipped with a wide range of designed truck sizes. With their over 1,700 locations in the United States and Canada, Budget Truck Rental also collaborates with MoveLift to make your move smooth. MoveLift offers professional loading and offloading services to their clients at the most affordable rate based on a request.
On the other hand, Budget also rents furniture pads and hand trucks to assist you in loading your load smoothly. If your load is not up to the big truck, the company offers pickup truck rental that can convey your belongings successfully to save cost.
The following details about Budget summarize the company service delivery:
- Over 1,700 in the U.S. and Canada
Available Vehicle Types and sizes
- Trucks/cargo vans: 12’-, 16 -, and 24’- foot
- Car Carrier
- Car Dolly
- Budget’s larger trucks such as 16” and 24” have three seats to accommodate consumers during moving.
- The trucks have towing capacity and as well as a loading ramp to make loading easier.
- The company requests a credit card for reservations.
- It is one of the most preferable companies for long-distance moves due to its one-way move offers.
- The company does not guarantee online reservations to prevent being overbooked which can result in disappointment and scheduling conflicts.
3. Penske Truck Rental
Overall Rating 4.6 / 5
Penske is one of the three top leading national truck rental services that offer local and one-way, long distance move with their large truck and pickup fleet of about 50,000 situated at different locations of the US and Canada. The service of Penske includes truck and towing service to people who are ready to move either local or long distance.
The company offers flexible prices, as you can negotiate to have a discount on your move with their trucks. This can be possible with their friendly and well-mannered customer service which is available 24/7 to give you the assistance required for your move. This quality and as well as other commercial and logistics businesses has taken over the market of truck rental.
The company is committed to offering a better customer service experience with the current size of the company. The website of Penske is responsive and easy to navigate and highly equipped with a lot of content and safety tips for both movers and consumers.
It is worthy of note that Penske does not hire out trailers and their trucks cannot tow trailers. You can book your reservation process online by filling out your information such as destination and date on the online form or can as well call the company’s representative for a quote.
Penske Truck Rental partners with truck loading service known as Moving Labor to assist customers with loading and unloading process.
The following details about Penske summarize the company service delivery:
- Over 1,000 in the United States and Canada.
- Over 2000 pick-up/drop-off centers and home depots
Available Vehicle Types and sizes
- Trucks: 12’-, 16’-, 22’-, 26’- foot
- Tow Dolly
- Car Carriers
- It is one of the newest and highly maintained vehicles in the industry.
- Loading ramps are also available.
- Penske also offers self-storage options to their customers.
- The company also provides and sells packing supplies such as boxes, mattress bags, box cutters, furniture pads, bubble wraps, tapes, hand trucks, etc.
- It offers long-distance moves.
- It gives discounts to veterans, military, and students.
- If a consumer makes a reservation in advance, say 48-hour; Penske guarantees such reservation.
4. Enterprise Truck Rental
Overall Rating 4.6 / 5
When you think of moving with the truck, think about Enterprise Truck Rental. The company offers a wide range of different types of vehicles such as trucks, pickup van, cargo vans, and parcel vans for various relocation purposes.
Enterprise charges are quite different from others, as their rates are a little bit higher than others with a major focus on local distance moves. If you are renting small vehicles, Enterprise does not charge mileage rates, only if your distance is more than 300 miles.
They have over 270 locations situated in 44 different states of the US and other states waiting to be covered. They are not only into truck service but also offer larger box truck rent, hand trucks, and furniture pads. Enterprise Truck Rental invested so much on their website. You can get all you need on the platform including the complete list of all their locations by state.
Beside larger box trucks that require a conversation with their representative on the phone, most vehicles can be reserved online via their website. Enterprise is an excellent truck rental option when it comes to a small- and medium-size truck for an instant and local move.
The following details about Enterprise summarize the company service delivery:
- Over 270 location across 44 states of the US
Available Vehicle Types and sizes
- Straight Trucks: 24′- foot and 26′- foot
- Cabover Trucks: 16′- foot
- Stakebed Trucks: 16′- foot and 24′- foot
- Cargo Vans
- Pickup Trucks: ½ ton, ¾ ton and 1 ton
- Parcel Vans: 15′- foot
- A variety of rental options for local moves with the largest three trucks equipping with lift gates
- No mileage rate charges for small vehicles
- The affordable mileage rate for large vehicles
- There is no availability of towing facility
- They do not have wide coverage and locations like U-Haul
Don’t be deceived by what you see on the body of the company’s truck, ensure you request quotes from various truck rental services and compare them to see the best fit for your move. Be mindful of size you are renting. Use size guide to get the correct size of truck to rent. You might save some cash getting the size right.
5. Ryder Truck Rental
Overall Rating 4.6 / 5
Ryder Truck Rental is one of the top leading moving trucks recognized globally and Canada, especially for moving purposeful items such as weather-resistant or temperature-sensitive materials. If you need a spacious truck, consider hiring a Ryder truck or van to convey your belongings to your new home, but only cover a local distance.
They offer a variety of affordable sizes of a vehicle from their various locations and require their truck to be returned to the same location. Ryder rents a few options of truck size compared to other truck rental services. Ryder’s booking and cancellation are flexible and straightforward with their effective customer support service.
Not all the locations are offering comprehensive services like others. Ryder offers specialized daily rates to be one of the preferable companies in the business.
The following details about Ryder summarize the company service delivery:
- Over 500 pick-up stations across the United States
Available Vehicle Types and sizes
- Van Rentals
- Truck Rentals: 20”- foot and 26”- foot with life gates
- Trailer Rentals: (Only for Business Customers)
- Tractor Rentals: (Only for Business Customers)
- All their trucks and cargo vans are designed with life gates.
- However, Ryde does not have towing vehicle options for rental service. Also, if you have a trailer, you are not allowed to tow it.
- It is best for local and short distance moves, not advisable for long distance moves.
- Trucks must be returned to the same place no matter how far they go.
- Ryde requires a credit card for reservations.
- The best for moving temperature-sensitive materials through their refrigerated vans; the only company that offers such a service.
- They run daily service. Any moving extending to the next day will be charged accordingly; this makes it one of the highly expensive rental services.
- No loading and unloading assistance.
For more information about any truck rental services list above, you can read our various dedicated posts/reviews on each of them. With this, you can dig deep into how each of them work and deliver their services. You can read comprehensive reviews on each of them here – U-Haul, Budget, Penske, Enterprise, and Ryder.
The following table displays the best moving truck rental companies:
|No.||The Best 5 Moving Truck Rental Companies||Website|
|1.||U-Haul – Truck Rental||https://www.uhaul.com|
|2.||Budget – Truck Rental||https://www.budgettruck.com|
|3.||Penske – Truck Rental||https://www.pensketruckrental.com|
|4.||Enterprise – Truck Rental||https://www.enterprisetrucks.com|
|5.||Ryder – Truck Rental||https://ryder.com|
How much does it Cost to Rent a Moving Truck?
The truck size will determine the base rate a rental moving truck will cost. It will cost between an average of $20 and $35 per day to rent a moving truck that will hold your household item of a 1- or 2- bedroom apartment. To rent a moving truck that can hold up to three-bedroom apartments and two-bedroom homes, it will cost about $40 to $80 daily.
Moving trucks that can hold household belongings of 3 to 5 bedroom homes begins from $80 – $100 daily. There is a difference between the rental rate per day of renting a moving truck and the overall cost. This implies that the cost for gas, mileage, insurance, taxes, and others are not included in the rate per day to rent a moving truck of 15-ft by size to travel a distance of 75-mile on a local relocation.
Renting a Moving Truck for a Local Move
Renting a moving truck for a local move that only involves picking up the truck and returning it to the same pick-up location is very affordable. A local moving truck rental involves two rates:
- Day Rate: This is a designated rate that will be paid for the moving truck, and it is the same amount they tell you in their advertisement. Although there might be an increase in rates during peak season, be prepared to pay around $19.99 to $29.99 for a truck size of 10’ – 17’ and between $29.99 to $39.99 daily for a moving truck size of 20’ to 26’.
- Mileage: You will also be required to pay for mileage aside the daily rate. Mileage rate is always around $0.69 to $0.79/per mile during the week and around $0.99 per mile during weekends, even though it also varies during peak season. The most affordable and smartest way to complete your relocation promptly is to hire moving companies to help you handle the loading and unloading of your rental moving truck. You will save about $60 from hiring a full-service moving company when you join a rental truck with moving labor.
Renting a Moving Truck for a Long-Distance Move
The size of a moving truck, customer’s demand, and the distance of travel, popularity of the route, the season, and many other factors will determine the cost of renting a moving truck for long distance move. Most of the moving truck rentals issue a 1-way rental quote online to their customers when it comes to long distance move.
The number of days and mileage will be added to a 1-way rental quote, unlike renting a rental moving truck for a short-distance move. Moving truck rental companies add these to the quote based on the distance of travel automatically. Generally, the days and miles calculated on your rental estimate will be enough for your move; although you can add extra miles and days to it, you will have to pay for these extras.
Additional Costs of Renting Moving Truck
In most cases, when people go to truck rental companies to conclude their rental bill documentation, they often get surprised at the amount they are to pay because they didn’t plan to pay for extra services.
Moving truck rental companies don’t disclose these fees in public, and some of these fees are popular than others. You can avoid most of these fees, while some may not be avoidable. Having an idea of what the fees represent so you can have everything planned is very important. Below are the extra fees to expect when renting a truck:
- Truck damage: They may deduct costs for repair from your deposit
- Gas fee: You will be charged some cash if the gas left in the truck is not up to what was in it during pickup.
- Late return fee: You will be charged about $20 to $80 if you spend beyond the agreed time before you return the truck.
- Moving supplies and accessories: The dolly and blankets inside your moving truck also attract a fee.
- Young driver fee: Be prepared to pay between $25 and $30 if your driver or even you are between 18 to 25 years old.
- Include an additional driver: You will be charged between $14 and $30 per day if you plan to share the driver’s seat.
- Excess mileage fee: Some rental companies will charge you an additional fee if you go past the expected mileage.
- Cancellation fee: You will have to pay $50 if you didn’t cancel your order at least two days before your pick-up date.
Qualities of a Good Moving Truck Rental Company
Although there are many rental moving truck companies to choose from for your upcoming DIY move, there also are many ways to properly vet the companies and compare the services and costs of each company. Understandably, you might want to go with the company that offers the most affordable price, just make sure you consider the quality of their service as well as its reliability.
You might end up spending more on a cheap company if you fail to do proper research. There are many moving truck rentals in your area, regardless of where you are. Most of the companies work around the clock so you can be rest assured that making a reservation will be easy.
Below are some tips to follow when deciding on which moving truck company to hire for your next move:
1. Choose a Perfect Size for your Moving Truck
You don’t want to rent a moving truck that won’t contain all your belongings, as this would cause you some delay on your move. Another effect of this is that you might end up traveling back and forth during the move to make sure you move your entire household. It is possible to underestimate or even overestimate your required space. This greatly depends on the number of your belongings. The moving truck experts might also ask for the size of your home so they can recommend the truck size that best fit for your move.
2. Ask for Recommendations from your Family and Friends
Information travels fast. Old customers, in most cases, take time to broadcast news of their dissatisfaction in services they received from any company. This news is available everywhere; you can use it as a major factor in deciding which company to hire. Avoid hiring a moving truck rental company that is reputed to the offering of poor services in your area, so you don’t find yourself paying more. Make sure you ask for recommendations from your family and friends on any moving truck company you are considering for the job. Ask them the name of the company that helps them with rental trucks or cargo vans in their previous moves.
3. Conduct Online Research on Moving Truck Rental Companies
Check online reviews on moving truck rental companies servicing your area. See if there is any complaint filed against them with the BBB. Also, check if they respond promptly and adequately to customer’s complaints, and look for a pattern in all the complaints listed against the company’s services or equipment.
4. Find out the cost of renting a Moving Truck
Prices given by different moving truck rental companies vary from one to another. This is due to different factors such as the distance involved, the size of the moving truck and the duration of the relocation. You might end up paying less if you decide to rent a truck during the week while you might end up paying more over the weekends. This is because the demand for moving trucks is higher during weekends.
5. Call the Moving Truck Rental Companies
You will get to know how a particular truck rental company treats their potential customers when you call them. Request for a free rental quote and go through it to familiarize yourself with the contents. A reputable rental company will answer all your questions and provide you necessary information without holding back.
6. Get a Binding Quote
You might already have your decision ready on a rental company to hire after you must have compared the costs and services of the many possible truck rental companies. Supply the details of your upcoming move to the rental company. You mustn’t hold back any information that may be useful for the rental company so that you can both have a smooth transaction.
Also, make sure you don’t get played into paying a rental company after talking with them. Endeavor to get a binding estimate from the company before you make any payment to them. Make sure you ask the company what factors could cause the given costs to change and how the costs are calculated after you have the binding quote with you.
Find out the payment schedule and terms approved by the rental company. Find out if you are to make down-payment in advance or days before the exact moving day, as well as the payment method they accept (cash or credit card). You will be able to prepare financially, as expected if you have all the necessary information about the company’s terms and conditions.
7. Consider Insurance Coverage
Accidents on the move are not expected, but it happens, and for this reason, you need to understand what insurance is in place. Consider checking with your car company to see if your insurance will cover a rental moving truck.
To receive compensation if an accident should occur on the move, you will need full insurance coverage. If there is no provision for this coverage with your car insurance company, it is advisable to purchase additional coverage from the rental company. This will reduce the risk involved when moving your belongings.
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving Truck Rental
We will answer some of the most popular questions frequently asked by those looking to rent a moving truck for their move. You will be fully prepared for your upcoming relocation with the information you will find in this section.
How are rental costs calculated?
Among the list of things included in your rental quote are the distance being traveled, the size of truck, and the duration of the rental. The list doesn’t include costs for fuel, insurance, toll, moving supplies, and other relevant fees.
What are the requirements for renting the truck?
A valid driver’s license is required for renting a moving truck or trailer. The person must also be at least 18 years old or above even though it varies from one company to another.
What is the type of rental moving truck options?
There are usually different models of trucks available for rent with rental companies. It can either be a large 26-cubic-ft- truck or a small van. The number of rooms and the number of belongings will determine the size of the truck you will need.
How is the price of a rental moving truck determined?
The pick-up and drop-off locations, the truck’s size, the mileage, and the rental duration will determine the price of your rental trucks. Your moving dates will also be considered as a factor by the majority of the truck rental companies, and you will be charged more on holidays and weekends.
It is advisable to get rental quotes for different moving dates to see which one favors you most if you don’t have a specific date in mind. Availability might also be a factor in determining your rental price.
Is it allowed to pick up a rental moving truck in one state and return it in another state?
Yes. Most moving truck rental companies have offices in every major city in the country, so you can easily return trucks to any of the locations closest to your new area. It is usually common in long-distance move.
What are the additional costs of renting a moving truck?
Apart from the cost of rent, you will only be paying for taxes, gases, and tolls. Some rental companies charge for mileage and it is also advisable to purchase additional coverage. Ask for additional costs included in the price of the company you can consider for your move.
How far in advance should I book a moving truck rental?
Normally, you should visit your preferred truck Rental Company or check online to make a reservation as soon as you decide on moving. Doing this early will help you to be able to reserve the required size of your truck for your move. The perfect truck size might not be available if you choose to wait until the actual moving day.
Will extra charges be incurred if I return the moving truck rental on time?
You will not be charged any fee if you return the moving truck in good shape and with at least the level of fuel it had when you pick it up. Some moving truck rental companies might charge for using equipment that was in the truck, such as dolly or blankets, or for exceeding the exact mileage that was specified in the rental quote. Be sure to read the rental agreement with the utmost care before you sign it to avoid hidden charges.
What happens to my items if the truck breaks down on the way?
It is advisable to have the emergency line of the rental company at hand when using their truck, so you can contact them if the need arises. Each rental company has their unique approach on this matter, so it is advisable to make findings from their representative before you start moving. This will help you know what to do in the case of moving truck break down.
What if I need to cancel my order?
This greatly depends on the rental company you choose, but most of them request for at least two days before canceling the order. Some rental companies may also charge a cancellation fee.
Is a credit card required before I can rent a moving truck?
Each rental company also determines this. Payment method differs from one company to another; some prefer cash while others prefer debit card or check. This is one of the reasons to know all the terms and conditions as they are related to the company.
These are our picks based on rigorous research, surveys and customers’ reviews. Renting a truck helps you to maximize your moving cost by saving some bucks on your moving. Truck rental services allow consumers to rent a vehicle based on the size of their belongings and convey their property from one place to another with or without hired help.
On an average, you tend to pay about $160 and $230 for local and short moves respectively, while it may only take you about $970 for a one-way move. Getting a reliable truck rental company is a challenge due to many scams out there. However, Moving Feedback has discussed all you need to know about the best truck rental companies you can consider for your next move. Stay tuned for more informative posts from this page!