A car is one of the most valuable assets owned by someone apart from home. Anytime you ship a car from one location to another, you tend to invest money and time for successful transportation. This is if you choose a reliable auto shipping company you can trust. The fact is that moving a vehicle from one region or country to another is challenging and it is important that you find an experienced, reputable transporter to handle your car shipping.
This post aims to discuss how to choose the best car shipping company for your vehicle and suggest top companies that had been handpicked for you. While many people prefer to drive their vehicles by themselves within the state, this is not the case when you are shipping across the country. When you buy a new car overseas, you need car transport services to ship the car to you or send the car to another country.
Shipping cars abroad entails many things such as various laws and taxes and as well as other import duties associated with car shipping. Hence, it is essential to deal with companies that understand the technical know-how of the entire system, so you can get your car delivered to your preferred destination. Doing this means you are protecting your investment.
However, if you are grounded in understanding this principle, you may think otherwise. This article will start with a brief highlight of what car shipping really is, and the benefits of shipping your car with an experienced, reliable shipper. What are the qualities of a good car shipping company? Relax, as we handle it one after the other.
What is Auto Shipping?
Auto shipping can be described as a professional mean of transporting a car by hiring a truck or other related transport vehicle to move a vehicle from a place to another over a certain distance. Unlike driving your car from place to another, auto shipping involves that your vehicle will be loaded or transferred onto a dedicated truck and shipped to its destination with a reasonable level of guarantee. Auto shipping has been studied to be one of the safest methods of transporting cars and it has been recommended by most car companies and experts, especially if the vehicle is to be shipped long-distance.
Auto shipping companies are specialized services that have been solving car transportation problems over the year. They are usually equipped with qualified professionals who are trained to ensure transporting cars are in good condition throughout the process of shipping. Your vehicle is loaded onto the truck carefully, fastened it to the truck bed, and they look after it during breaks. You are sure your car will arrive at its destination safely and on time with their reliable service. The only issue is to choose the right auto shipping company to ship your car. How can you know them? Continue in this post as we discuss this next.
Why should you Choose Car Shipping?
There are different opinions regarding why you should choose car shipping as against driving your car by yourself. While you can save money driving your car to its destination, you tend to spend time and expose yourself to all the associated road difficulties, and also, this can only be possible for short distance. Some people are of the opinion that driving their car is better than hiring a shipping company due to the upfront costs of professional transport services and they prefer to save much money. There is no doubt you would save some cash, but there is a danger associated with driving the car by yourself.
There are also benefits of hiring auto transport services to handle both the short and long-distance movement of your car. Discussed below are the reasons you should consider car shipping company for transporting your vehicle:
- Cost of Car Shipping: The shipping cost of a vehicle might seem overpriced at first, but giving it a second thought, you will discover it is not always the case. If you consider driving a vehicle for a moment; such as a cost of buying gas, servicing cost for roadworthiness, the need to lodge along the way, feeding during the process and other related emergency maintenance on the way. Apart from all these costs, don’t forget you still need to take some time off work to carry out this assignment – this may be one or two days based on the distance you need to drive to your new destination. Above all, after spending so much time and money, you may not be able to track your expenses and end up paying more compared to using a car shipping company.
- Better Safety: Apart from different costs incurred in long drives, it is not advisable to embark on such mission in a view to move your car cross state or another side of the country. While long drives can be enjoyable for some people, they can as well be unsafe most times. You can expose yourself as well as your car to problems such as poor road conditions, wildlife, unexpected breakdowns, reckless driving from other drivers on the road, inclement weather conditions, and criminal elements along the road. Car shipping safe method of moving cars avoids all these dangers. Your vehicle will rather be transported than driving.
Depending on the truck method you choose, your vehicle will be protected from even foreign elements such as weather, dust, scratch, and much more. When you are moving your car long distance or moving a new car, it is highly recommended to use auto transport. Studies have shown that it is cheaper than any other methods you may think.
- Best for luxury car Protection: This is mostly in the case of expensive or luxury vehicles. If you want to maintain the value of your car, it is not advisable to drive it over long distances. Considering the cost of the car and as well as what repair costs can be, you will agree with me that car shipping company is the only service that can protect the vehicle to avoid such. Driving such luxury car may subject the vehicle to damage that may be costly or difficult to repair. Luxury cars are not only to be transported by auto transport services but also to be shipped in an enclosed truck to offer maximum protection for the vehicle. If you want to maintain the value of your luxury cars (especially as a car dealer who want to resell such vehicles), it is recommended that you use auto transport enclosed shipping system.
- Saves Time: Auto transport services can be commissioned to transport a car within the shortest period ever. If you have a short window to get a vehicle to its destination, auto shipping companies are the best answers for it. There is no doubt it takes time to drive a car over a distance – based on the distance; you may need to take a break (which may take a day or more) to get proper rest before continuing the journey. Also, if the car experiences breakdowns, flat tires, strange noise from engine on the road, which will make you spend time maintaining the vehicle, you tend to spend much time.
If there are traffic jams on the road, there is no way you can fly the car. These and many other unforeseen problems are capable of causing a delay on your way. This can as well be stressful and further delay you.
It is worthy of mentioning, that you will be totally occupied, as you cannot do any other thing while driving. You won’t be able to go about your daily activities; you won’t be able to catch up with chats, emails, or have time for your family during this period you are on the wheel. You can save time transporting your car by hiring auto transport services. It only takes them pickup and delivery window (between 1 – 5 days, starting from schedule date) to get your car to its destination. You tend to enjoy safety and time.
Top Qualities of a good Car Shipping Company
Choosing the right shipping company is vital to enjoying a stress-free car shipping experience. There is no crime in carrying out a background check on any company you want to entrust the shipping of your vehicle to. Remember they will be in charge of your vehicle, taking care of it during the voyage, and handle it for the main time till final destination. Choosing a reliable auto transporter is nonnegotiable. Some consumers do commit blunder of choosing the service with the lowest quote, and they do regret at the end.
Neglecting other essential qualities of a good auto transporter and focusing on price alone is extremely dangerous on your part. There have been many cases where consumers and transporter engage in serious embattle over the failure of the companies to deliver as promised. A reputable company does protect the name they built a long time ago and ensure they deliver to the consumer’s satisfaction. Shipping car across state or country by an auto transporter means that you trust them to do the work; hence, you need to choose right. Below are the qualities of a good car shipping company:
- Relevant Licenses: This is one of the qualities you must look into in a trustworthy car transporter. A reliable auto shipper should be licensed and insured. Does the company have a license to operate internationally? If a company is to ship abroad, it is expected that the transporter is licensed by the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC). This is the United States agency that regulates and keeps track of the ocean-borne international transportation and regulates the activities and services of the international shipping companies. If a company does not have FMC license, there is tendency that they won’t be able to handle most needed international documents such as customs clearance and as well issue House Bill of Lading (HBL).
Another license worthy of checking about your prospective car shipping company is Better Business Bureau (BBB). A company must strictly adhere to business ethics as standardized. Also, ensure you check the profile of the company on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) platform. From here, you will know the company’s level of safety to handle such service.
- Years of Experience: When it comes to shipping cars, experience matters a lot. Check the company’s years of business operation to know if they can handle your kind of car transport. The company’s years of experience entails that they would have shipped many cars, have numerous customers and referrals to confirm their abilities in transporting vehicles without issues. Years of business operation within the range of 5 – 30 years is advisable with other consideration.
- Available Range of Shipping Services: A reputable shipping company should offer a wide range of services. If a transporter limit his shipping method to a particular type and he is not ready to adjust to your customized shipping need, you should look another way. For example, some ports cannot handle RoRo shipping; hence, the company should be able to offer container shipping service as an alternative. Companies that had been in business for a long time should be experienced in providing a wide range of services.
- Transparency in Service: Before you consider a car shipping company, ensure you go through their website to learn more about them. Honesty and transparency of the company play a significant role in deciding who to give the job to. A company who has been in operation over a reasonable number of years is expected to have a well-optimized platform where consumers can visit and read about their services – what they offer, how they promised to deliver such, and much more. There is no hidden secret in business especially a service that requires one entrusting his or her valuable item to a service provider.
A reliable company will provide all the relevant information about their operations, share informative contents that are beneficial to customers and show that they understand how the business is run professionally. When browsing the company’s website, ask the following questions:
Does it have a straightforward request for a quote?
Does it have an uncomplicated call to action?
Does the platform have a blog section where contents are shared for more information on their services?
Do they come straight about their shipping rates?
How easy to surf the website from all devices?
These and many other questions should be answered before making your decision.
- Be a Partner to Reputable Licensed Motor Carriers: Some services require that transporters partner with other licensed motor carrier to complete the delivery. Some countries don’t allow foreigners to provide certain services. In such a situation, a partner may be needed to ensure the car shipping company satisfies its customer. Most reputable companies do partner with FMCSA-licensed motor carriers to transport cars internationally and make sure things are perfected as expected.
Top 5 Car Shipping Companies of all Times
Our evaluation is based on a number of factors to arrive at the top picks for this post. About 100 auto car shipping companies were reviewed and out of them, we finally handpicked top 5 companies that beat others to it. To finally arrive at the below list of the top car shipping companies of all times, we considered the above qualities of a good auto transporter including quality of service delivery, affordability, licensing and insurance, experience in the business, availability of a range of services, transparency, and much more. Below are our picks for top car shipping companies:
1. Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport was established to transform the car shipping industry and take it to the next level. It transports different types of cars to any part of the world. There is no limit to the types of vehicles it can ship, ranging from family-sized SUVs to sedans, to special collectible cars and as well as cars purchased online; the company is just a guru in car shipping. Unlike others, there is no variation in the price quote to what you pay. Apart from open and enclosed car shipment, Sherpa Auto Transport also offers tailored-made shipping services using real-time data and analysis to give an accurate estimate for all its services with a unique “no-surprise policy” that allows consumers to pay for the service they received.
The company is licensed and bonded by many accredited agencies including the United States Department of Transportation with Sherpa’s carriers vetted and insured to deliver topnotch auto shipping services. One of the qualities that make Sherpa Auto Transport stands out is its “clean car guarantee.” They save the lading bill by paying to wash your car within 7 days of lading. When it comes to car shipping, we give it to them.
eShip is another top-rated car shipping company in the auto transport industry. The company was founded in 2012 with its headquarters located in Coconut Grove, Florida. Craig Giganti established eShip to operate as a licensed auto shipping broker partnering with USDOT. eShip does not operate or own any transport cars but operates as a broker. Instead, the company makes use of a connection of handpicked carriers to offer the service, and this has been studied to give customers a wide range of shipping options to transport their vehicles while eShip acts as trusted agent standing in-between the two parties during the entire shipping process.
They offer both open and enclosed shipments with their various trailers. eShip has easy tracking tool which can be found right there on the homepage of their website; hence, you tend to know when your car will arrive at its destination. eShip has one of the maximum shipping protections with its Platinum Protection Plan. This package means and includes additional insurance coverage in case the carrier’s deductible may not cover any damage during shipping. This additional package offers up to $300 insurance coverage and another $300 in rental reimbursement in case the carrier is 48 hours behind schedule. What else are you looking for in a car shipping broker? eShip gives it all.
3. Ship Your Car Now
It was founded in Boca Raton, Florida in 2010 as an auto transport broker to offer both local and international auto transport services. With Ship Your Car Now‘s technology, consumers can track shipped cars online. It is highly rated by Better Business Bureau and other top review sites with an average of 87% “A-” positive rating and reviews. Ship Your Car Now is equipped with full license domestic freight, ocean transport intermediary and as well as a property broker.
Ship Your Car Now insures and bonds all its drivers to give them an enabling environment to work. The company has flexible shipping time windows and a variety of shipping options. It offers both terminal-to-terminal and door-to-door shipping and delivery options. You will not be charged fees upfront until your delivery is confirmed compared to other transporters. They don’t only transport vehicles but other heavy equipment, motorcycles, and much more. Ship a Car Now shipping costs are around $1,000 to $5,000 based on the method or mileage. If it is by air, it is more (between $5,000 and $40,000) based on the method or mileage.
AmeriFreight is one of the best of United States car transporters of all time. The company ships different types of cars around the world — it has BBB A+ rating for its excellent car shipping services in the country. They are known for organizing one of the best international car shipping that leaves no trace of scam compared to others. AmeriFreight offers not only door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal auto services, but also provides other services including customs clearance, comprehensive insurance, and transportation of any other automobile items.
5. Ship A Car Direct
Ship A Car Direct is a broker that is widely connected to numerous carriers that were handpicked by their experts to ship cars with more shipping options. The auto service aims to lessen the consumers’ burden by researching and screening auto shippers to handle their car shipping services. Ship A Car Direct provides reliable open and enclosed transport options to give your cars customized shipping as required. The company is rated “A” by Better Business Bureau with amazing positive customers’ review. You can get free quotes from their website within minutes and choose the one that best matches your budget. Ship A Car Direct remains one of the best car shipping of all time due to their reliable and dependable auto transportation overtimes.
To sum it up
Entrusting your car to a car shipping company to transport your car means they are reliable and have been shown to be professional in delivering the service. We have discussed all you need to know about choosing the best car shipping company for your vehicle haulage. Ensure you look before you leap so you would not get into car shipping scam. Stay tuned for informative posts from this page!