Same day and last-minute movers are those which can assist you in a pinch. They won’t require the move to be scheduled weeks in advance and are a great option for certain situations which we will talk about in the following section. For now, however, know that these moving companies are invaluable. Sometimes they specialize in emergency moving services, while other companies simply offer this ability side-by-side with traditional moving.
When might you need a same day moving company, and how do you choose one? How can you be sure you have chosen the right company with so little time to spare? And will it cost a fortune in comparison to traditional moving services? Today we are going to answer these questions for you, as well as offer a few additional tips on how to orchestrate a smooth last-minute move.
When to Hire a Same Day Moving Company
Moving is usually something that is planned out well in advance, and it should be whenever possible. Yet sometimes unplanned events occur where it may be necessary to move quickly. During these times, you need to hire a same day or emergency moving company.
A few examples of what may prompt the need of an emergency moving company include:
- Your original moving company canceled or never showed up.
- You received a fantastic job offer in another state but had little to no advanced notice.
- A loved one has fallen ill and requires round-the-clock care in their own home.
- You are being evicted or have had a falling out with the landlord.
- The area you currently live in has, for whatever reason, become no longer safe for your family.
- You are in the military and have been transferred with little to no notice.
- You witnessed a crime or have been victim of a crime and need to relocate immediately (rare).
How to Choose the RIGHT One?
Regardless of why you have need of an emergency moving service, finding one isn’t always easy. Many traditional moving companies only provide service with advanced notice, and other companies will charge a lot more for the same day moving… more than you might currently be looking to spend.
There are two ways you can go about finding a good company. The first and recommended way is to work with a moving broker.
A moving broker is an individual or company who helps connect you with the appropriate movers in your area. The benefit to this is that the broker takes all the extra steps in assuring it is the right company. They know what licenses, certifications, and experience are needed for each job, in each locale. They are also usually connected with companies who specialize in extra services that people who are moving might need – like house cleaning, packing, or car transportation.
The second method is more complex but is still a viable method of finding a company – and it all begins with a google search. Look on google to find out what emergency movers are available in your area, and then call them to see if they have openings for that day.
When using this method, it is more difficult to find the right company, so you’ll want to make sure they contain certain necessary qualifications and traits.
One way to ensure the company is the right choice is to ask them the following questions:
- Do you have the necessary licenses and certifications required to transport my items from my current home to my new one? And can you provide proof if required?
- Do you offer any insurance on items during transport?
- How long have you been in the emergency moving business?
- How much will it cost? (Note: The lowest price is not always the best company, but you shouldn’t be charged an outrageous amount either.)
- Can your movers assist in packing boxes also?
The cost of the same day moving company will be more than if you had booked a traditional mover in advance. This is because the emergency movers will have to act quickly, which means they may have to bring extra workers in on call or take time away from something else to help you move. To make it short and sweet: you pay extra for emergency movers because it is inconvenient to move a whole home and family with less than 24 hours’ notice.
The fee should not be exorbitant, either. Some companies do not usually supply emergency moving services but will for a very large extra charge. Others feel they can charge whatever they want since an emergency move is just that – an emergency. You must move either way, so you are more likely to pay extra for it.
Be wary of those companies which try to scam you out of your hard-earned money. This is another good reason to work with a moving broker. They help to ensure you aren’t overcharged for quality, same day moving services.
Additional Tips and Tricks
Here are a few additional tips and tricks to assist you in your last-minute moving efforts:
- Remember you can’t do everything yourself. Whether professional movers, family members, friends, or neighbors, remember to delegate to get as much done as possible in the least amount of time.
- In your rush, it is possible to forget something. Do a last quick sweep of the house and get a second set of eyes while you’re at it. If anything is left behind or undone, you may not be able to do anything about it later.
- Before beginning, take a few minutes to make a list.
- Pack a box or bag for your move and first few days at your new home. Include changes of clothes, toiletries, medications, etc. for each member of the household. Label it appropriately.
- Don’t forget to eat in your rush, or you may become sick.
- Get an early start whenever possible.
- Focus on packing one room at a time.
Whatever the reason you need to hire emergency movers, you can now feel confident in choosing the right company. You should also be able to seamlessly make a last-minute move with minimal to no hiccups during the process.