You are definitely looking to hire a reputable moving company that has a lot of services contained in its bundles in order to save you money on your life-changing adventure.
Although the stress list is certainly topped with the birth of a new child as well as starting afresh on a new job, however, relocating to a new home sits closer to the top of the most stressful experience you will ever go through.
Do you know you actually save money and reduce the stress? This is what you get when you hire a mover that also offers other services such as packing. Packing is regarded as one of the most stressful tasks during moving.
Luckily, packing service is included in the bundle offered by the best moving companies in the US, if you choose one. The two major questions you should ask include:
- What are the things to expect from a mover that also offer packing services to clients?
- Which ones out of the many moving companies out there are ranked as the top 10 movers and packers in the United States?
Top 5 Highly Recommended Packers and Movers By Moving Feedback
To guide you in your search to hire the best mover and packer for your upcoming relocation, we researched many long-distance moving companies and then screened them down to the top 10 that offer both moving and packing service.
Continue reading to find out the companies on the top five, the right questions to ask when searching for a mover to hire, helpful tips and as well as frequently asked questions about moving and packing.
Top 10 Movers and Packers
The companies on this list are those who never compromised their standard even when offering international moving services. You are free to choose from any of the movers below:
1. American Van Lines
Brokers or broker-carrier hybrids are the ones behind the majority of the similar works being done by many movers because they are known for outsourcing part of the entire move to other companies. However, American Van Lines is different.
Regardless of the requirements of your move, whether storage services, auto-shipment, or full moving services, the entire operation will be handled by the company’s well-trained and properly-vetted staff.
Similar to these services, the company is dedicated to offering fair prices as well as customer satisfaction, as it makes use of a flat-rate pricing system, so customers can determine the exact amount they will pay.
The flat-rate pricing system is what gets American Van Lines on our list. The system means that the company does not charge by the hour; neither does it charge an additional fee for fuel or mileage.
Immediately the company gets the complete number of items you are moving as well as the distance involved; it will then determine a low estimate by calculating the weight of your shipment as well as the number of days it will take to move from your present location to your destination home.
American Van Lines also have excellent customer service record when we dug into it. As a matter of fact, the company’s customer service was recently listed as one of the best in the moving business by Newsweek.
2. Moving APT
This company holds an interstate broker license and also has insured moving crews that are trustworthy to relocate your possessions efficiently, safely, and securely.
Moving APT’s moving experts have completed several moves across the United States for over two decades and now partners with the most certified moving companies.
Moving APT is determined to make your move stress-free regardless of your type of move, whether commercial or residential. Moving APT helps customers have access to interstate moving companies for their residential and commercial moves.
The company is a moving broker and thus helps customers get the perfect mover that matches their needs from its wide network of third-party moving companies.
Moving APT only partners with movers that are members of the American Moving and Storage Association and the U.S. Department of Transportation certified providers.
The company schedule arrangements for highly-trained professional moving companies to safely pack all or part of your possessions.
3. North American Van Lines
North American Van Lines is known for the efficiency of its service as it has a huge number of local agents that are always ready to help customers pack, store and move their belongings.
The company is reviewed by both customers and professional movers’ organizations to be one of the top movers and packers that provide great customer service.
Furthermore, this company also has storage centers across major cities in the United States, which makes it a complete moving company that matches all of your moving requirements.
North American Van Lines started in 1933 and is a full-service moving company that can safely move your belongings from one location to another.
They offer full-service moving, packing, disconnection, and reconnection of the appliance, as well as disassembly and reassembly of furniture and other additional services.
This implies that your budget will determine the services you can choose. You can opt for full-service move, which will see the company’s moving crew handle every aspect of your move, provided you have an unlimited budget.
4. International Van Lines
This company is a broker and also a carrier that has more than 3,000 partners all across the globe. International Van Lines (IVL) offers varieties of services such as piano transport, full-service packing, crane lifting, as well as motorcycle transporting.
The company can handle all kinds of moving services, such as local, cross-country, and as well as international moves. Just like a few of our best moving companies, IVL offers transparency on the total breakdown of your final bill.
IVL can offer every moving service you may desire because it is a moving broker and a carrier. The company offers many other services that may not be available with other long-distance movers, aside from the full-service moves for local, interstate, and country-to-country moves. Other services include:
5. Allied Van Lines
This company focuses on companies that are searching for reputable movers to move their supplies and equipment to a new location.
Allied offers packing as additional services to offices, which also sees a reduction in price as the number of items to be packed increase.
The company uses an advanced reservation system which confirms all the items involved for a long-distance move. Customers can ask for a free on-site survey and estimate of their packed belongings.
Allied Van Lines holds one of the biggest relocation networks across the globe and is a full-service interstate moving company.
Allied also provides stellar service even though it has many local agents in the country that are always available to satisfy customer’s needs.
The provision of the in-home estimate, excellent customer service as well as varieties of services makes Allied a nice shot on our list.
This company has been in the moving business for about 100 years, and they prioritize the safety of your fragile belongings all through the move.
For instance, the Bekins moving crew will take an accurate inventory of all delicate items that require special handling to move from one location to another in the country.
You definitely don’t want to find your expensive dinnerware broken after the move due to an unclosed moving box. The company offers a secure and cost-effective moving and storage service.
Bekins will store your belongings at their storage centers all over the country while you are making preparations to sell your old home, close on a new home, or just looking for a safe place to store your items all through the relocation.
Although packing can pose a lot of stress and challenges, however, our packing and shipping crew of experts has been handling it perfectly for many years. Once Bekins handles your packing, they will ensure the total safety of your items all through the move.
7. Two Men and a Truck
The company now uses more than a truck as it has now gained national recognition as a moving company.
However, Two Men and a Truck also offers the widely known packing services that have been in existence since the inception of the business.
Two Men and a Truck makes use of GPS systems to track shipment across the country to assure customers of the safety of their belongings.
They also make use of custom-designed foam padding to prevent breathe taking of glassware and other fragile items.
Two Men and a Truck offers full-service for both local and interstate residential moves of any size, although some of their branches can only handle local moves.
One of the branches we contacted can only handle a move that does not exceed 800 miles, but also referred us to a nearby franchise that handles larger relocations, so you can easily overcome this limitation in most locations.
8. Atlas Van Lines
Atlas provides convenience to customers when they are looking to hire a moving company through its online tool that screen search requirements to help you find the perfect deal for packing and moving your belongings.
Atlas Van Lines is reputed for packing household belongings and relocating them to their new homes without causing any damage to the belongings, regardless of the distance involved.
There are varieties of services available with the company irrespective of your type of move – be it short, long-distance, or international relocation.
To avoid the stress involved in packing your household belongings or you have a certain item that needs special handling, you can choose from the different packing services offered by Atlas.
These include partial packing and full packing. When you opt for full packing, movers will pack all the belongings you are moving with you.
9. Wheaton Worldwide Moving
Although this company might not be as big as corporate moving companies like Allied Van Lines and Mayflower, the small size also comes at an advantage as Wheaton can help you adjust your moving plan if and when needed.
The company only asks for 24-hour notice if you want to add to the number of items to be packed. Wheaton does not charge for last-minute packing requests from customers.
Wheaton World Wide Moving is a full-service mover that has 350 moving agents all over the country. Just as indicated in its name, the company provides full-service moving across the United States, with international moving service via its sister company.
Wheaton is the best option if you need to relocate as quickly as possible. The company stands out among other moving services in the country due to its priority moving services.
Someone can be easily misled by the names given to some moving companies. Take U-Pack, for example; it handles all of your packings.
This company is widely known for its specific focus on customers that are looking to hire an affordable mover for their long-distance move without matching the prices given by other full-service movers.
There is no need for a deposit with U-Pack, and the company will send a team of moving experts to your home to figure out the technique for packing your items.
The company has helped relocate more than a million families since 1997. This implies that U-Pack has the required experience to get your belongings to its destination safely.
U-Pack offers its services in all 50 states as well as Mexico, Puerto Rico, and parts of Canada. You will be charged extra fees when relocating to Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii, as your items will be transported via ship.
This implies that you can relocate your belongings from sea to another location, through the land or just locally.
Although U-Pack majors in interstate moves and despite that we were able to get moving estimates for local moves, you will get enough satisfaction for your money the further you go.
How to Effectively Find a Trustworthy Mover and Packer?
The complications involved in searching for the best movers and packers is not much; however, there are few essential steps you must follow to get a trustworthy international moving company that will help you move your household belongings to the destination home safely. It is advisable to use this checklist to avoid getting lost on the steps.
Below are the steps involved in finding reliable movers and packers:
1. Research the Mover and Packer
One of the best ways to make comparisons of movers is to conduct a little research on the listed companies. You are to verify their licensing information after checking their reputation via our online portals in the form of movingfeedback.com reviews. You can as search on Google, Yelp, etc.
2. Read Reviews on Movers
This is also known as valuable feedback left for the company by consumers who previously completed a move.
Highly-rated movers are known always to protect their reputation and do all they can to handle customer’s possessions with the utmost professionalism.
There is a huge difference between local moving companies and long-distance moving companies. Checking online reviews about moving companies is one of the best ways to figure out their reputation.
Remember, not all of them offer comprehensive service. You can get an idea from people’s experiences. However, beware of fake reviews. Read our post on “How to spot an online fake moving review.”
3. Get Moving Quotes
Make sure you get moving quotes from movers that offer both moving and packing services before you conclude on which to hire for your move.
Be sure to get many in-home moving estimates after you have been contacted by the movers so that you can choose the best offer that matches your budget.
The importance of in-home estimates is that it shows you the approximate value of how much your relocation will cost.
To begin with, fill our online moving quote to receive many moving quotes mainly from trustworthy and licensed moving companies in the country. Read All You Need To Know About Moving Quotes in 2020.
4. Request In-Home Moving Cost Estimates
Although you will be able to decide how dependable a moving company could be with your belongings, the final decision will be determined by the price quoted in the moving estimate you received.
To know the things you are expected to do and not do when the movers come to your home for an in-home survey, make sure you understand what this process is all about.
The companies will send a team to your home to survey your belongings to be moved and come up with more exact quote. Ensure you show them everything to avoid misunderstanding on moving day.
5. Compare the Movers
The next step is to compare the movers based on their submission. There are differences even if not much between every moving company and this is true whether you are comparing a local, interstate, or international moving company.
However, the best way to determine the perfect mover for your move is to compare their moving offers and to conduct thorough research to determine their reliability.
Once you have received all the moving quotes, you can now sit down and compare the quotes thoroughly. Although the first thing that will catch your attention is the final price, take your time to analyze how they arrive at the overall price, as well as the individual costs of each additional service.
Which one fits into your budget in accordance with your needs – moving and packing?
How do Packers and Movers Help in the Moving Process?
Do not attempt to relocate on your own if this is your first time. The moving process can be very stressful, and there are varieties of factors to be considered when moving, so it is better to hire experienced and professional packers and movers available in your location.
Below are some of the ways packers and movers will help you with your move:
- They help you plan: Once you have the desired moving date and you are searching for packers and movers, the first thing they will ask you is the moving date. That is when they will get other details on the number of items you want to move and the destination. Once you give them this information, they will use it to determine when you should start packing, the size of the moving vehicle you need, and the duration of the move. Once you can settle all these, you will have lesser worries when the moving days comes.
- They help you protect your household belongings: You have to pack your belongings in such a way that there will not be loss or damage to them. You can pack your clothes so nice that you will have more space and still prevent it from stain and any sharp object that could tear it. You need to pack fragile items like mirrors and glassware with utmost care. You have to properly prepare your box to allow for adequate cushioning for your glassware before you pack and load them. You also need specially-made boxes for your TV and mirrors to restrict movement during the move.
All your household belongings will be properly taken care of by the movers and packers regardless of their value, especially during shifting.
You may be offered insurance for the relocation by some packers and movers. This insurance will provide coverage for any loss or damage to your belongings during the moving process.
Be sure to ask for insurance if you have many fragile or highly-prized items in your home that you plan to move. The insurance might affect the moving cost a bit, but it will worth it when you do not need to worry about the safety of your possession while on the move.
- They get you settled in: The majority of the packers and movers available today offer additional services known as pre-relocation services and post-relocation services. This implies that they don’t just pack, load, and unload your belongings, they will also continue by unpacking, reassembling, and setting up of your new home. Imagine walking into your new home and finding everything in place! Professional packers and movers will handle every aspect involved in setting up your new home.
- No need to ask for favors: Your best option if you don’t know your way around the city or you don’t like asking for help from others is to hire packers and movers. You will definitely need help at a point during your move, especially when lifting heavy items or loading your belongings into the vehicle. This might push you to seek help from family, friends, or even strangers. However, there will be no need for such when you hire a crew of packers and movers, as you will just sit back while they do all the work for you.
- They save you time: Professional packers and movers don’t waste time when packing your belongings into the moving vehicle. They might spend about 3 to 4 hours to pack what might take you two days. You will also be able to save more time when they help you unload and unpack at your destination. They will also help you save time on time-consuming tasks such as the arrangement of moving vehicles, moving furniture, as well as manpower.
- They save you from stress: You need not worry about your move when you already hire packers and movers as they have the required experience as well as the right equipment. You don’t have to worry about things like the moving vehicle, moving supplies, and the final price, as it is always indicated in the overall cost provided there is not an unexpected event.
How can I get affordable packers and movers?
You may find it difficult and tricky to hire affordable packing and moving company in the country. However, there are some ways in which you can hire reputable, experienced, and reliable movers for your next relocation.
- Create a list of top packers and movers in your location.
- Verify their credibility and realness.
- Find out their strength of crew and moving vehicles.
- Read online reviews and check their ratings.
- Screen the list to 3 best match packers and movers
- Request for a pre-move survey.
- Get estimates in writing.
- Compare the moving estimates and select the one that best matches your moving needs.
- Thoroughly go through the contract before signing and finalizing the agreement.
Why do I need to hire packers and movers for my moving?
It is generally known that moving from one location to another regardless of the distance involved can be so stressful, challenging, and daunting in one’s life. The relocation process is listed as one of the stressful undertakings in the world. The moving process involves packing up your belongings, loading the moving truck, hauling, unloading the moving truck, unpacking the belongings and setting up the new home. Other unexpected processes may spring up during the move that will require your attention.
Moving will require a lot of your time and effort. The truth is that, you cannot handle the entire moving process alone. This is why you need to hire professional packers and movers that will handle the whole process. However, make sure you check the reputation, reliability, license, experience, and genuineness of packers and movers before you opt for their services.
Why do I need insurance if they professionally pack everything?
Any unforeseen situations such as accidents or natural disasters could occur during the moving process and thereby lead to damages to your items. If you have active insurance coverage on your move, then you will be given a list of items covered by the insurance. Among the general items that are insurable are your sofa, study table, dining table, air conditioner, washing machine, refrigerator, air coolers, microwave oven, garden equipment, coffee maker, toaster, electrical equipment, and so on.
What is moving insurance?
Moving insurance is offered by moving companies to provide coverage for the risk of damages on a residential relocation process. There are two main types of moving insurance, and they include Goods transit insurance as well as All-inclusive insurance.
- Goods transit insurance: This insurance will provide cover for any damages that occur during transit. This insurance can be purchase anywhere (not necessarily from your mover). Third-party insurance is also allowed. But it is advisable to purchase moving insurance from the same company you hired for your move. You can get Goods transit insurance at a very nominal value (such as 1.5% of the original item value).
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance will provide cover for any damages that occur to your belongings during the whole moving process. This insurance is expensive to purchase as moving companies will be responsible for replacement or cash reimbursement of the item that got lost or damaged in the moving process. The insurance can be availed at 3 percent of the original value. Note that third-party purchase of comprehensive insurance on your relocation is not allowed. Only your packers and movers can provide you this kind of insurance.For more info about moving insurance, read this post.
How can I detect a fraud mover to avoid moving scams?
Being scammed by packers and movers is a very rare case if you choose a reputable mover. The numbers of fraud cases perpetrated by moving companies are very few. However, this is not to say there is no dishonesty or scam in the business.
Their general tactics are to lure customers with their ridiculously low price estimates and in the cause of the move, demand for more money before they can deliver your possessions. Make sure you don’t get trapped into such scammers. There are many numbers of ways to detect a rogue mover and avoid being scammed by them.
The most important tip here is to verify their authenticity, genuineness as well as their credibility.
- Verify their authenticity: You can also visit them at their office to verify the same. Be serious when asking for their genuineness and experience. Don’t hold back any questions at all. Request for their proof of licensing, DOT number, and other related documents to prove their legitimacy as a moving service provider. You can then proceed to ask for their previous clients. Make sure you thoroughly check every document they give to you as proof.
- Check reviews: Be sure to check online ratings and reviews about the packers and movers to figure out their reputation.
- Do not give an advance deposit: Avoid any company that has no physical location. Avoid any company that refuses to conduct an in-home survey before giving you a moving estimate. Equip yourself with knowledge of how movers and packers charge. These are the ways you can identify potential fraud movers and packers and protect yourself from falling victim to such. Read our post on “How to avoid moving scams or frauds.”
To sum it up
Are you planning a move soon and want to take the stress off you? You need a mover that does everything for you. We suggested top 10 movers and packers in this post. You can choose from the above. Have you used any of them before? Feel free to share your experience in the comment box!