Relocation is undoubtedly a difficult task but more difficult to get done on a budget. However, with careful planning and research efforts, you can relocate stress-free and without overspending. One thing that usually comes to mind when trying to relocate on a budget is – should I engage the experts or do I go with do-it-yourself method? You can get an affordable bargain if you are ready to cut down the amount of stuff to load in your boxes.
You can consider decluttering your home by getting rid of unused items in your possession. You can as well get some cash from it. If you are looking for a way to maximize your packing for a move, this post will see you through a complete guide on how to do it. Whatever you are thinking, let’s first look at the merit and de-merit of either employing an expert to do the work or do-it-yourself.
Merit and Demerit of Engaging Professionals or Do-It-yourself
There are benefits attached to either of the above choices and these will be explained in details. Whether engaging a professional mover or do-it-yourself largely depends on your overall objectives.
However, below are the advantages and disadvantages of the two options:
- Using family and friends for your packing can be fun and interesting, but it wastes time and often leads to frustration. Contracting experts, on the other hand, can help you move quickly and efficiently too.
- While you must provide food for family and friends throughout the period of the exercise in a DIY option, professional packers only need the agreed fees to be settled.
- The expert packers make use of the right tool and equipment that make the task smooth and more comfortable. The DIY option solely relies on the physical efforts of the people involved which can be tiring and may result in injury that may be your responsibility.
- The expert packers bring the right size of the truck for the packing, even if it’s in the same locality. So, you won’t waste time driving back and forth between your old and new homes like you have to when packing by yourself.
Therefore, if you want to relocation on a budget and want a hitch-free relocation, expert packers are for you. But if you are low on cash, not in a rush or if your stuff is few, the DIY may be a good idea.
Bring Down your Relocation Costs
Relocation costs can be humongous if not checked; spending less on the relocation must be a top priority when packing. One good way of reducing your relocation expenses is proper planning and purchasing the packing essentials in advance to give you lots of buying-advantages such as cheap deals, freebies, etc. If your relocation is work-related, you may be able to save from tax rebate on relocation expenses. Below are a few simple ways of saving on relocation expenses:
- Start with a relocation plan
Start your activities with a relocation plan and a timeline for the entire process. This helps in completing the relocation task smoothly and saves you costs.
- Leave items you don’t need behind
One cheap way of relocating is by going with few loads. So, it’s important to leave behind items that you may never need again. This is a very powerful cost-saving idea because of the transportation cost for example if you opt to do DIY option and the way the packing companies calculate their charges. The packing experts charges are calculated based on specific factors as listed below:
- Packing companies charge differently, so you should find the one with cheaper rate but still offers quality services.
- The distance between the two locations also affects the rate which you can’t do anything about.
- Rates also vary at different seasons of the year. The period between January and December are on high demand in the US for example, and relocation often costs more at this time.
- This size of your stuff will also determine how much you’ll spend on its shipment. Properly sort out your stuff and leave out items that have been idle in the recent times and may never need again. This saves you lots of money and storage spaces too. You can also generate money from some of these unwanted items by selling them off.
Other Cost-Saving Strategies
There are some other cost-effective strategies you can employ to maximize your moving on a budget. They are:
- Use free packing boxes and other materials for your Packing
Spending less on your packing materials help you to save significantly on the overall packing cost. Departmental stores, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. are few of the places where you can get free packing boxes. Also, ask family members and friends for other materials like old newspapers and bubble wraps for wrapping as well as old blankets to protect your furniture.
- Prepare a relocation budget
It helps to always work on a budget for the activities. So itemize all the stuff that has to be done and put every activity on a budget from the packing to the transportation, etc. This ensures that you don’t overspend.
- Sort-out your stuff based on priority
Sort-out your stuff, arrange them according to their usefulness and keep all the essential items that you’ll continue to need until you finally move and those needed for the packing like toiletries, packing tapes, medicines etc. They must be kept in a separate box and properly labeled – say priority item box.
- Open a “Destination” box
This box like the priority items box will be used to keep all your next essential items that’ll be needed immediately in your new home like towels, toys, coffee cups/maker, toothbrush/paste, etc. will be kept to help you quickly adapt in your new home.
- Be sure to label the Boxes
Make sure to mark all opened boxes properly. This helps to avoid buying items you already have as it gives you easy access to all your priority stuff whenever they are needed.
- Choose the Packing option that best suits you
Whether you want to use the do-it-yourself option or you want to hire the professionals for your packing, you must first have an accurate idea of the cost by seeking and getting cost estimates from low-cost moving professionals who will visit your place and give a pre-packing estimate. You can also prepare your own DIY cost estimate to help you decide on which option to use. However, never compromise professionalism and safety of your items when looking for a cheap moving option.
Packing is the high side of moving exercise and it has been studied that many people spend more on this aspect than the actual mutual. This guide has handled all you need to packing for a move on an affordable budget. We will keep posting informative content on this page. Stay tuned!