Moving can be difficult and complicated, especially if there are heavy items to move along with you. One of these heavy items is a marble or slate pool table. Moving a heavy and large pool tables is not an easy task and trying to move it yourself without prior knowledge can result in severe damage to the person moving it or the table itself. If you are moving a heavy item such as a pool table, hiring a professional mover is advisable if you don’t want to lose the valuable item to rough handling.
There is no doubt; a pool table is one of the thousands of weighty items that are tricky to move. It is wide, heavy, bulky, and requires specialized techniques to disassemble and reassemble it. Any mistake or mishandling during moving can lead to expensive repairs or complete replacement which may be more expensive than hiring a professional moving company to move it.
There are many professional pool table movers in the moving industry. However, before calling on a mover, it is essential to understand all you need to know regarding pool table relocation. What and what are required in moving a pool table? What are those qualities to look for in a pool table moving company? How much do movers charge for moving pool table? These and a lot more will be discussed in this article. Let’s dive into it one after the other.
Guide to Moving a Pool Table
Sometimes, people are of the opinion that moving a pool table only requires removing the legs and one person at each end lift it and move it into the truck. Typically, a pool table weighs 600 – 900 pounds. Moving such a huge table in an unprofessional way can cause damage to some vital components of the table. The safest way to move this type of furniture is by disassembling it and takes it apart without missing any step. By using this method, one can easily carry it through doorways, staircase, and as well as hallways to load it into moving truck.
However, it is not as easy as briefly discussed above. There are many professional skills involved in disassembling a pool table. If it is wrongly disassembled, you may not be able to assemble it again. To make it easier, let’s highlight some of the steps involved in moving to a new place. This will be categorized into three.
- Preparing a pool table for moving
- Moving service type
- Finalizing the Delivery
Now, let’s explain in details for more understanding, as many things are involved in each of the steps.
Step-by-Step Guide to Move a Pool Table
The recommended step-by-step guide to move a pool table or snooker is designed to make pool table relocation easier for the movers without causing damage or loss to the item. Below is a step-by-step guide to move a pool table:
Preparing a Pool Table for Moving
Moving a pool table requires professional skills, and this starts by preparing the table which is one of the tedious tasks. Pool tables can have up to 1,000 kg depending on the size and type of the table; hence, it can be heavy. Even, a kid’s or a toy pool table can weigh as high as 500 kg. This implies that it is not an easy task to move one. Some of the preparation activities required to move a pool table is as follows:
- Inspection: Your very first step is to inspect the pool table to ensure it is in good condition and that the table is ready to move. In the case you are buying online, check the images and descriptions to ensure the table is move-ready. Apart from this, photographing and taking note of the conditions of your pool table will help you in claiming insurance in the case of an unlikely event during haulage.
- Disassembling: This step largely depends on the table. It may or may not require disassembling before moving it. However, if your table is a modernized type, mover can’t do without taking the legs apart. But if it is a traditional one, you may need to fully disassemble it before moving, and this requires the following steps:
- Removing sides/rails: This involves taking off the cushions and back of a pool table by loosening them from under. This allows you to easily remove sides or cushions of the pool table.
- Taking off the cloth: Removing the cloth from the pool table involves unpicking the stretched staples. There is a specialized tool to do this, and this is called staple remover.
- Removing the pockets: Taking off the pockets is similar to the process of removing the rails, and this is done by unscrewing the pockets from the table.
- Taking off the slate: Slate is the height of any pool table disassembling, and it forms its integral part. It is the heaviest part of the pool table, screwed to the base to form the surface level to play. These screws are usually covered by wax which must first be removed before unscrewing the screws, then removing the slate from the base.
- Taking off legs: Lastly, unscrew the legs from the pool table body to take off the legs.
Tip: Ensure you label each part and screw properly to prevent mix-up.
Types of Moving Service for Pool Table
Moving pool table from one location to another (especially during house relocation) requires both experiences and guarantees. At least, the mover should assure you of the safety of your table before, during, and after delivery. It is essential to put value on both experience and reliability of a person or company to handle the moving process. If you are expecting a safe relocation of such large furniture, you should leave the work to people who are dedicated and trained to render such services. Based on your choice, you may require any of the services to discuss later. However, each service comes with its pros and cons.
Below are moving services you may consider for your pool table:
- Full-Service Professional Mover: This type of service is a comprehensive one. The mover takes care of everything pertaining to moving furniture. Come to your home, disassemble the table, load it into the moving truck, unload it and assemble it at your new home. So, if you don’t want to handle any manual labor involved in moving pool table and you want your table to be handled by professional hands (especially for safety), a full-service mover is an option for you. However, it may be expensive than basic shipping but save time and the safety of your pool table is guaranteed.
- Moving and Transportation: In this method of moving, the service comes to your home, load the table into the vehicle and deliver it to your new place. However, this method entails that you will be responsible for disassembling and reassembling of your pool table before the service provider comes for pickup and delivery respectively. It is cheaper but stressful than full-service moving services. If you don’t know how to disassemble and reassemble the table, you would need help or hire someone who is experienced in doing so.
- Transit only: If you can get people who are skilled in handling pool table (disassembling and reassembling) and are ready to help you handle the lifting of the parts at both pickup and delivery stations, you can get a man with a vehicle to help you transport the components. The transit option is the cheapest among the three methods but requires dedicated and extra hands to do parts of the job.
Having discussed the available three methods to move a pool table, it is worthy of note that you look before you leap. Don’t just pick one service provider that comes your way. This is regardless of the methods you selected. There are some criteria you must put into consideration before choosing your pool table movers. These factors will be discussed next in this article.
Choosing a Pool Table Mover for your Table
A reputable service provider is a key to successful pool table relocation. To get them may require some steps and considerations. Moving Feedback provides all required pieces of information to help you make a smart decision on the right mover to choose.
Below guidelines will point you in the right direction:
- Review Licensing and Credentials
For any company to operate legally in the United States, it must be licensed by the body dedicated to doing so. Ensure the mover is licensed to move furniture interstate. Moving companies involved in transporting large truck in the US must be licensed by a branch of Department of Transportation (DOT) called Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Always ask for the company’s unique Motor Carrier (MC) numbers issued by the FMCSA as evidence of registration for commercial regulation and safety. Mostly, they do add the number to their profiles. But if you can’t find it on their profile, ask the company to provide it.
- Read Company’s Reviews
For instance, consumers do come to Moving Feedback to write feedbacks about their moving experience they had during their moving or other related services. This helps other consumers to decide if the mover is right for their moves or not. Likewise, ensure you read reviews about pool table movers that can help you move your own. Just click on the profile of any mover you are considering and check their ratings and reviews about their services to make your decision. I promise you; you will get more information about the company’s service delivery.
- Check Cancellation History
No one loves his or her move canceled. Imagine you have prepared to move and all of a sudden, moving company cancels your move. It means you have to start all over. Ensure you check out the service provider history of cancellations. People do drop comments on every cancellation case; check those comments to see if it is intentional. Companies with fewer cancellation cases can be considered, as cancellations do happen sometimes.
- Consider Price
While price shouldn’t be given top priority, it is part of considerations when looking for a reliable pool table mover. Ensure you get a deal that is averagely better than others in term of quality. However, don’t be carried away by lowest deal; some people submit low bids to win the bid, but later end up carries out a shoddy job.
Irrespective of the method you opt for, ensure the mover has insurance to cover your table in case of any loss or damage during transportation or the entire process. There is a standard level of coverage for a pool table, and you must confirm this from the service provider before signing any agreement with the company.
If you are using the transit method, it is essential to look for a driver who is familiar to the route you are moving your pool table to. Having a transporter who is local to pickup and delivery station makes the work easier for you to complete. You know what it takes to use this method, so, you must prepare for it and ensure your pool table can be well tracked throughout the movement.
Finalizing the Delivery
Finalizing your pool table entails getting the table delivered at your new place. However, it largely depends on your choice of moving. While full-service mover will assemble the table at your destination, transit service will only deliver at schedule place or park for you to move it yourself to your home. This may turn to another stress entirely – that is why a full-service moving company is better. Now, let’s look at full-service final delivery.
Below is a list of all that is involved in full-service pool table final delivery:
- Inspection after the delivery: When your pool table gets to your new location safely, it is advisable to first inspect the table to take inventory of all parts starting from the balls, pockets, to the slate. If you are not around, you can delegate someone to this for you. At this stage, you would be able to know if there is any damage to any of table parts. Concentrate more on the slate. If you discover any anomaly, immediately raise it.
- Reassembly: The next thing mover team does is start reassembling your pool table. This is the actual delivery we are talking about; and it shows how expert the mover is. Some movers who are not experienced in moving pool table do find it difficult at this stage. If the table was not properly disassembled or the parts and screws were not labeled properly, this is where you would know. Putting a pool table together is not as easy as disassembling it. Reassembling is one of the factors that make consumers hire pool table movers.
It may be easier to disassemble but putting the parts together is not a child’s play. However, in case you chose other means of moving services, and it requires that you reassemble the table by yourself, there is a lot of resources and tips online that can help you assemble a pool table. There is also a guide in the manual if your own is still at your disposal.
Below are some vital points to consider when reassembling a pool table:
- Start building it on a table: If you build your pool table on a table, it helps you to attain a healthy position. You will be able to see the items aligning with your position and also consider it more comfortable than kneeling.
- Plan reassembling: Proper planning will help and save you the time of completing the task. Imagine after starting putting the parts together; you remember you are not with a particular tool or equipment; thereby delaying the activity. Ensure you get all you need before starting the task.
- Be safety conscious: Safety is important in every technical job like pool table reconstruction. Remember you will use various tools such as power tool and others; ensure you use low speed to reduce the rate of accident in case it happens.
- Ensure good surface finishing: It is essential to flush those joints/elements before tightening the screws to achieve the good surface finish. This will also determine the rigidity of the table.
- Slate: Make sure the slate is cleaned and dried. Ensure nothing is put on the slate to avoid bumps.
- Legs: Ensure the legs are perfectly arranged when you are put them together to achieve a spirit level.
Top 5 Pool Table Movers
Pool tables are expensive and can be difficult to move. It requires experience and technicality of experts to relocate a pool table. It is not a task for just any mover who has never handled it before. If you don’t want any damage or loss to your pool table, it is essential to choose for your table, a reputable mover who has experience in moving a pool table over time. There are many moving companies out there, but only a few can stand the test of time when it comes to pool moving service. These pool table moving companies have been handpicked for you after thorough research and reviews about them. This list is trimmed down to five to make it easier for you to take a decision.
Below is our list of top 5 pool table mover:
1. A-1 AUTO TRANSPORT
A-1 Auto Transport is one of the best options to consider for moving pool tables of different sizes. If you are relocating and you own a pool table that you want to move, the company is experienced and has all it takes to move such furniture. A-1 Auto Transport handles both local and long distance pool table move, and all their moving services are covered under their insurance policy. All their employees are well trained to move any type of pool table both inter- and intrastate or any location you may want to move your table or heavy items to. For more information about A-1 Auto Transport’s pool table moving services, check its profile page here.
2. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA POOL TABLE MOVERS
Southern California Pool Table Movers has been serving the pool table relocation needs of San Diego and its environment for long, and they are found among the top flight in the industry. The company is known for their professional customer care and quality moving services which keep their customers coming to them whenever they want to move heavy items such as pool table and other related furniture. When you hire Southern California Pool Table Movers, you will not only enjoy quality service but also give back to the economy of San Diego. Moving pool table is made easy with the company, and its entire package is affordable with a guarantee for safe relocation of your table.
Many customers have reviewed them to be one of the best when it comes to moving a pool table. Southern California Pool Table Movers opens 7 days in a week from 8 am – 10 pm; hence, you can call on them any time. For more information about the company’s pool table moving services, check its profile page here.
3. CHESAPEAKE BILLIARDS
When it comes to pool table move, Chesapeake Billiards is the source for any service related to pool table ranging from repairs, relocation, maintenance, and other related services. The company has been known for exceptional pool table moving to Virginia, Maryland, Baltimore, Washington DC, and their environs. Chesapeake Billiards offers one of the most competitive prices in pool table moving services in the industry. The team ensures safety in both disassembly and assembly of pool table with extra care. This is one of the reasons customers gave then the tag – “safe and secure pool table mover” in the country. All their technical teams are experienced and well-mannered to deliver top-notch moving services beyond your expectation. For more information about Chesapeake Billiard’s pool table moving services, check its profile page here.
4. DEVRIES MOVING AND STORAGE SOLUTIONS
DeVries Moving and Storage Solutions provide reliable moving services to and from West Palm Beach. The company offers special furniture moving service called West Palm Beach pool table moving services handled by trained and skilled pool table movers. If you are looking for a professional to move your pool table, DeVries Moving and Storage Solutions is the right option to consider to get it done with efficiency and warrantee for safe delivery. They can move pool tables even cross-country with comprehensive insurance coverage. They are equipped with dedicated experts to meet your demands without wasting your time.
Apart from moving service, DeVries Moving and Storage Solutions also offers storage service for clients who may want to keep their pool table during renovation or relocation. DeVries Moving and Storage Solutions has enough storage space for this service with reliable crating and shipping services. Your pool table will be packaged and wrapped to protect it from any damage during haulage. For more information about the company’s pool table moving services, check its profile page here.
5. QUALITY POOL TABLE MOVERS
Quality Pool Table Movers is a moving business operated by two brothers – Chase and Brett Friedland. These two brothers are experienced in moving a pool table, and they had been offering this service in the United States for a long time. With their special RAM Promaster, Quality Pool Table Movers will safely deliver your pool table to any location of your choice. They are equipped with unique vans designed with a slate carrier – a platform for pool table base conveniently. They have moved thousands of pool table in the country and have been rated as one of the best movers when it comes to pool table relocation. For more information about Quality Pool Table Movers’ pool table moving services, check its profile page here.
How Much Does It Cost To Move A Pool Table?
Figuring out the cost of moving a pool table can be challenging, as there are a number of factors putting into consideration to arrive at a particular cost. There is no one-off price for moving pool table due to varieties of sizes available in the market. Typically, a pool table move can cost between the ranges of $250 – $1,200 but this depends on the type of service you choose to move your pool table. However, this includes services such as assembling/disassembling and moving labor. Putting size, distance, and other factors together, while large pool table relocation may generally cost $800 on an average, a small one will cost less. Let’s discuss these key determinant factors.
Key Factors That Determine The Cost Of Moving A Pool Table
Pool tables have different and unique features that moving companies put into consideration before determining their costs of moving. What are the disparities that lead to the varied cost of moving?
Below are some of the key factors:
- The size of the table: Pool tables have different sizes, and this is the first consideration for quoting for your pool table. The typical sizes of pool tables are 7, 8 and 9-foot slate. There will be a different price tag for moving each size of the table.
- The type of the table: Pool tables come with different features in terms of designs and materials. What type of pocket is your pool table? Is it a drop pocket or the other type? Are the pockets leather or plastic material? Is it a ball return type? This plays a vital role in determining the cost of moving.
- The ease of moving: Where is your pool table located? Does your home have staircase? The ease of moving your table is usually fathomed in the cost of moving it. Are there any uncommon circumstances that can make your pool table move difficult for your moving team? This contributes to price determination.
- The distance: The distance between your present home to your destination play a significant role in quoting for your pool table move. Some movers may even charge per mileage or one-off. The farther the distance, the higher the cost of moving.
- The choice of moving system: Are you opting for full-service move or transit? If you choose to handle parts of the tasks such as disassembling and reassembling and only transport it, you may reduce the cost of moving your table.
Above are all that is required by moving companies to calculate the cost of moving your pool table. The size is the first consideration to calculate your pool table relocation. The second factor is distance. However, combining the above factors, the cost goes as high $1,200 based on your circumstances.
A pool table is one of the special household pieces of furniture that are heavy, bulky and required special kind of moving skills to move it. The cost of buying a pool table should make someone think twice when he or she is considering moving it. If there is any damage or loss during haulage, it may turn out to be a big loss, considering costs of repairs or replacement. Fortunately, there are some reputable moving companies who are specialized in moving this type of furniture.
However, you only need to choose the right one to get the job done for you. Also, understanding how moving activities are carried out is a plus to reduce the cost of moving your table. Moving Feedback has shared above, all you need to know about moving your pool table through different means and suggested top five pool table movers you can consider for your move and as well as the typical cost of moving such a piece of furniture. Stay tuned for more informative posts from