Getting Financial Aid for your Relocation



Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Financial Moving Assistance - Moving Feedback

People relocate for different reasons; be it for a job transfer, to secure a fresh and more rewarding job offer, for business relocation, for education advancement, an emergency situation caused by an occurrence of a natural disaster or for any other unexpected reasons.

Whatever is the reason, relocation cost can be huge and even be more expensive depending on whether you’re moving across the state or within the same locality. The first crossroad is largely on how to handle the whole exercise in a less-stressful way and get the things done.

Having enough funds at hand or in your bank account to execute your move when the need arises may be very difficult. While you cannot accurately estimate the cost of your move, there are some hidden costs you might not even budgeted for.

Ranging from the cost of getting moving boxes and other related materials to packing, and hiring moving company or moving truck if you decide to do it yourself (DIY).

However, there are many ways through which one can secure timely financial aid to give you the needed capital for your move. Knowing that relocation cost usually rises with traveling expenses, temporary accommodations during the search for new home, some employers and government alike usually put in place a relocation financial aid program to help relieve these financial burdens.

The aim is to offer moving assistance to make the spending affordable for you. It is a mission of some organizations or charity homes to help people in need of moving assistance due to problems related to moving. The organizations or government or charity homes magnanimously offer to help people with their moving financial problems.

This article will share some major organizations and programs that offer financial moving assistance. Read on to discover

Top Financial Moving Assistance for your Move

Many people are not moving willingly and sometimes, some relocation come as an emergency; hence, raising cost for moving may be difficult for such people. Getting financial assistance in any way to help you in your move will go a long way.

The programs are designed to make impact in the lives of people, especially those ones who are faced with relocation problems. Find below some financial moving assistance or useful tips to help you secure the necessary financial aid for your next move:

Employer-Based Relocation Aid Programs

Some employers usually have a policy or program to assist employees with financial aid to help them in their relocations when necessary.  For instance, you may be entitled to a moving allowance or relocation package if you’re moving on a transfer to fill a vacant position in the company’s branch elsewhere especially outside the state or country.

This allowance is to enable you to deposit for rentals, pay for hostel or hotel or other temporary accommodation, take care of moving expenses, and much more. Though, this allowance may not be immediately available, so, you may have to pay or source for the money somehow and later apply for a refund from your employer.

Some organizations go as far as paying for the accommodation of the entire family of the beneficiary for months. If such exists in your organization, ask for it.

Federal Assistance for Homeowners

Families and small business owners are usually assisted in covering their moving expenses in times of emergency after a natural disaster through a Federal Program for Relocation Assistance. The objective of the program is to help families and small business owners with grants to pay for their move and easily relocate to a new home or facility that has similar features to their former property.

While small business owners are usually helped in finding new locations for the business and given a grant for their relocation costs, individual families are assisted with funds for their moving, and as well as to deposit for a new home whenever they are displaced or forced to move by a natural disaster.

A renter who has become homeless or at the risk of being homeless may also be qualified for such relocation assistance that will be discussed next.

Financial Grant for the Prevention of Homelessness

This is a grant given to homeowners who are about to become homeless due to an unexpected eviction notice. The grants are usually administered and disbursed through housing agencies, local authorities, Salvation Army and religious organizations. The grant usually covers moving costs, rental deposits and motel or hotel staying vouchers to prevent living on the streets.

So, find out to know if an application for the grant is currently being accepted in your locality because the administering authorities are expected to dispense the funds received within 3 years. Grants could be given for up to 18 month’s rental assistance. It is a good way to start a new life.

Housing Emergency Fund

There is a one-off housing emergency grant of more than $2,000 for eligible applicants who may need immediate assistance for utility or security and rental deposits. The fund is usually granted by the Housing Industry Foundation whose objective is to lessen the financial burden of families who might be unable to raise immediate funds and are not unsure of getting a refund for their deposit on their current home.

It’s an emergency fund that’s usually transferred to the new landlord, utility companies or housing agent directly for the eligible tenant in less than 24 hours. Check out the HIF’s website for application and eligibility details.

Also, the Department of Housing and Urban Development in the US offers financial assistance to rentals that are displaced from their houses due to reacquisition or demolition for a new project or construction that is being funded by the Government.

Whenever you are informed of such development that will cause you to forsake your home to community development, it is essential that you don’t move immediately until you are aware of the options available to you like a requirement for relocation payments, rent deposit refund or any other applicable entitlement. If affected by such development, the following options are usually available to you:

  • Moving expenses: They are often paid in full, fixed rate for everybody or a combination of the two.
  • Housing replacement or rental assistance: It is usually available to help you rent or acquire an appropriate or similar home as a replacement.

Exchange your Unwanted Items for Money

This is another avenue to raise funds for your move. When you are seriously in need of funds to move and you do not qualify for the federal relocation assistance, or you’re finding it difficult to access any form of aid funds, you might decide to sell off some of the old stuff that you can survive without.

This is referred to as “garage sale” or “moving sale.” You can read our post on Guides to a Profitable Moving Sale. This idea will not only raise you some needed cash, but it will also save you money on moving costs by reducing your overall load.

You can auction off many of your unneeded stuff either through physical means or online auction platforms like eBay or Amazon. Stuff like old sports accessories, electronics or unwanted old books can be turned to money towards your move.

Tax Rebates

When you are moving based on a job transfer or any other job-related issues, you may qualify for some form of tax rebates on your moving expenses. You may consult a tax expert to help you take advantage of available tax rebates and help you in filing tax returns. This will lessen your financial burden when relocating through deduction of relocation expenses from your taxes.

Grants for Housing & Moving

Another way to get financial aid to fund your move is to get grants for housing and moving. Getting an unexpected notice to vacate your home means you need to secure new housing as quickly as possible, and have the financial resources to fund the move.

If you find yourself in this situation without the funds to relocate, you may qualify to take advantage of grants that aid families with housing and moving expenses. Assistance is available through public programs and through private charities or local foundations.

Charity Home

When you are in a boxed corner or find it difficult to raise enough funds for your immediate relocation needs probably due to other commitments, logistics or family challenges, you may be able to access some grants from some charitable organizations. These organizations were set up to provide grants for moving so as to help in reducing financial burdens associated with moving. They include:

  • Moving Grant for Low-income People

Many families with low incomes often find the cost associated with relocation a huge burden to bear and often require financial aid for them to easily move whenever the need arises.  For this category of people, there is usually a government program instituted to offer them a grant for their move. If you fall into this category, you may want to ask around to find out about the availability and requirements for eligibility for such grants.

  • Relocation Aid for Disabled Citizens

Disabled Citizens or physically challenged are usually unable to have the needed finances to carry out a relocation task like any other persons. That is why many organizations and government agencies have been set up specifically to provide aids for this category of citizens whenever the need arises for relocation.

You can access many of these agencies or organizations by asking around from people and through internet search engines. The application is easy and straightforward. The grant comes in time after proper application has been processed and completed. If you are among the set of people, don’t miss this opportunity.

  • Veterans Moving Assistance Program

Veteran Citizens who meet all the requirements can access moving assistance in the form of housing support, payments for rent and utilities, security deposits, childcare and legal support from the Veterans Supportive Services. this program is committed to provide needed assistance to this set of people and they always available to help out when it comes to moving or relocation.

  • Religious Organizations

Many religion organizations render moving and relocation assistance to needy families as well as single mums and women with low incomes and as well as disabled citizens to help them pay for moving expenses and other immediate expenses.

There may be certain criteria to be met for you to qualify for such assistance but you can always make attempts and ask questions from people to know more. Also, you must know that such assistance is rendered on the basis of the budget available to the organization and sometimes on your loyalty to the presiding officers of the religious body.

Budgeting Loans

If you are on a pension or you have been on Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance for up to 26 weeks, then you may be qualified to access what is called the Budgeting Loan.

It is an interest-free loan of not less than a $100 that is repayable within 24 months depending on your financial needs and circumstances. Is this something you would like to try? Make a move today!


When next you are moving, you may want to take full advantages of any or all of the above-stated financing opportunities to help you secure the necessary funds and to reduce the financial burden of your impending move.

Many organizations and charity homes have generous enough to offer so much to save people from embarrassment which may be sudden. However, many people are not aware such an opportunity exists. Now, you it all!

Moving Feedback uses this post to share much-needed information about existing opportunities available to you for your next move. I do hope that you shall have a safe and cost-effective moving. Stay tuned for more informative posts from this page!

Thomas Campbell
Thomas Campbell
He has a degree in literature from Stanford University and a profession in Mass Communication. Thomas is a member of the Moving Feedback research team, an expert in writing educative articles to help readers make the right buying decisions. He is well versed in moving industry matters to give the best advice on moving needs.
Thomas Campbell
Thomas Campbell
He has a degree in literature from Stanford University and a profession in Mass Communication. Thomas is a member of the Moving Feedback research team, an expert in writing educative articles to help readers make the right buying decisions. He is well versed in moving industry matters to give the best advice on moving needs.

More To Explore


Rolanda Lewis
December 29, 2018 at 12:03 am

I relocated here from Louisiana I need furniture food dishes

julie booth
February 6, 2019 at 3:07 am

I live in USA Florida and i am a happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them. If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact them and please tell them that Mrs Sharon Coolidge referred you to them.

    September 3, 2019 at 10:57 pm

    Need loan

    LaQuita M Myles
    April 3, 2020 at 4:44 pm

    Hello. My name is La’Quita Myles. I’m currently living in Clarksdale, MS and I’m looking to relocate to Virginia or Maryland. My living situation is difficult because the job I have doesn’t pay enough to cover my expenses. I’m a single black woman surviving on my own without any assistance and I’m not getting along with my family. May 2019 I collapsed on the floor due to elevating blood pressure and stress levels and it hasn’t gotten any better. They’re satisfied as long as I’m doing everything they need but health wise, I’m in some serious trouble. It’s life threatening for me and they’re happy. I’m currently looking for work in these areas to get myself situated but it’s taking time due to the pandemic. Is there anywhere I can look for resources?

financial assistance
April 25, 2019 at 10:30 am

My friends get an ATM card and a pin – because it’s the fastest and safe way to make quick money in the world today. I can hack any credit card and pin in the world and this card can be used on any ATM machine in the world. The ATM card can be used to withdraw $ 10,000, $ 5,000 and $ 4,000 daily and also with a maximum amount of 15,000 daily purchases, but it will last six months before expiration, the card is already programmed. you can not get caught . To obtain this card, you can contact me on my email:
[email protected]
WHATSAPP ME 0N +16315383658

    June 8, 2019 at 8:53 am

    How much u charge for card? Do you still make and sale? How can I get one from you? I just need funds to move! Can you donate $,5000 to me? I am single low income disabled mom, please help me! It will help me start a new life for me and my kids! Give us our own property and allow us to build our own home and own in no more than 15 years!!! I just need a little help getting there and putting down a down pay and $5000 would do that for me!

    September 3, 2019 at 10:56 pm

    Need help

    Andreeda Smith
    October 9, 2019 at 9:07 pm

    I live Goregia and need to move back to Michigan my son was killed in July 2019 need to be with the rest of my kids please help me [email protected] Com

    dawn meyers
    February 19, 2020 at 9:22 am

    I need help with moving expenses to get to Florida

Jenny Gardiner
June 8, 2019 at 4:31 am

I have to move and I’m in need of how to get help with moving cost please give me info

    mark kirincich
    March 2, 2020 at 10:40 am

    can tou get me financial help with moving to tennesse need down payment and 1st months rent of 850.00, I need to get to vandi hosp now.thanks nark

Tom Brandy
July 21, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Am so glad i got my loan from Mr Willian few days ago if not for him i wouldn’t have been able to pay my fees, friends if you need an urgent, business or personal loan kindly contact him via this Email: [email protected], or whats app us on +1 214 305 8945.

July 23, 2019 at 8:38 am

I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of
$50,000 daily for a maximum of 20 days. I am so happy about this because i
got mine last week and I have used it to get $100,000. MRS SANDRA is giving
out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is
something nice and she is not like other scam pretending to have the blank
ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours from her.
Just send her an email On [email protected]

    Disgusted citizen
    August 3, 2019 at 1:11 pm

    That’s really and truly disgusting. I’m poor and needy and legitimately on SSDI but even when I was homeless, broke, hungry and dirty sleeping in my car by no means ever did I even one time consider stealing from ANYBODY not even corporate America. U people that can be so callused and utterly flippant about being a theif are truly spawns of the trash of society. U r what gives the financially strapped people a bad name. Reading these posts made me want to lose my breakfast. There are resources out there and I know cuz I was able to pull myself up from the pits of hell without stealing or taking from anybody or even by being a drain on anybody. Or better yet without even the ability to think too clearly due to a traumatic brain injury or even family support. There are advocates out there to help u find resources and even assist in helping to fill out the applications if need be. This made me wish I had never learned to read the little bit I’m able to again. How sick has society gotten? Apparently pretty ill!

      KSH James
      August 28, 2019 at 11:11 pm

      Hi I’m in Houston and I wanted to know if know where I got to get resources to move up north. I feel I can do much better that i way. I have a toddler and have absolutely no funds and currently being evicted just wanted to know if you know of any resources

      Manuel Caraballo
      January 21, 2020 at 4:06 pm

      Need money to help me move

Jesse Nutting
August 6, 2019 at 5:27 am

I am trying to move from Washington state back home to Massachusetts and my lease is up in November. I am trying to find a way to raise $2500 to be able to make the move. I have a 3 year old daughter who sleeps in the same room as me and I can’t afford anything out here that is bigger then a studio. My friend is giving me two rooms in his house for $800 a month I just need to be able to make it over there. The money would be for a moving truck and gas and food during the trip.

    Barb Woolsey
    August 27, 2019 at 9:07 am

    Did you ever find the agencies out there that provides the moving grant to low income families? I’m in the same boat except I’m moving to my family in Washington! I hope you’ve had a beautiful journey! May you be Blessed~ Sincerely
    ~Barbara Woolsey

August 12, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I’m in need of 2 tickets to Kansas I have a place an a job but I have to make it there me an my wife please help num is 228 363 3619 I lost my car an my job please help us relocate

Cheryl jones
October 22, 2019 at 1:45 am

Im a Single mom , in need of finacial help with a deposit & first month Rent to Move with my Children..

Ann Mason
October 27, 2019 at 12:32 am

I was injured on my job last April, My husband lost his a month ago. We have NO income at the moment except my meager Workman’s Comp. He has been assured a good paying job in Florida if we can get there from Georgia. We figure about $6,000 will get us moved there, First, Last and deposit, and enough to hold us over until his first paycheck, and I can find a position myself. I am over 60 and he is 57, can you give me any suggestions for help Please

    Ann Mason
    October 27, 2019 at 12:34 am

    We have also lost our lease and need to move out by November 30, 2020

Jenn Stewart
October 27, 2019 at 11:08 am

Hi. I’m jenn. I’m 47, single no pets, no children and seeking desperate help.
I’m wanting to move asap. I’m very scared and feel if I stay my abuser will end my life.
I’ve had my door broke down, 3 weeks ago, as I woke up making coffee, he was at my door unwanted for the 40+time.i tried to run to my window to shut it, but he punched it out. Glass cut me in chest, arm, and face. He’s done the unthinkable crimes against me. Some, I can’t share. He likes to tie women up. He’s shoved my head down into carpet, dragging me across the carpet, causing wound on face,feet, and knees. I was seen in the e.r.
He’s caused me to lose jobs, apartments and all my friends. Now my car.
I didn’t know he was a felon, on probation and on drugs. I couldn’t understand what I did to deserve such punishment. I loved him. It’s over now, but he still hurts me.
I’ll move anywhere. Safe. I’m a jail & hotel cook. I also did pause for prayers a place where people can go to have hands on them & pray if they wish.(the pastor who was sadly murdered).
My abuser has convinced everyone that it’s all me. That I’m crazy.. etc. I’ve taken elderly people to get medication. He’d snap photos, and I’d have no clue he was there.
Please please help me!
I got proof of pictures, texts, and Iowa obudsman that can verify.

    Ann Mason
    October 29, 2019 at 6:30 pm

    National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 is available 24/7 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.

Karie Wittgraf
December 25, 2019 at 2:42 am

Hello. I’m looking for some possible help moving to a studio or 1 bedroom closer to the area where my autistic son is. Olivia or Wilmer mn. Just don’t know where to begin. My family is all pretty much gone now. Besides one sister who lives in mpls. I currently work at prairie senior cottages in new ulm and I’m sure it would be an easy transfer to the company in Wilmer. Any help would be so greatly appreciated

Sonja L Darby
January 6, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I’ma single disabled mom. I’ve lost my apartment and I’m staying in a motel. I need help asap. I don’t have money to pay for a uhaul. I can’t find anyone to help me to pack up and move my stuff to storage. I’m begging I need help asap

Day Merced
January 19, 2020 at 1:32 am

I’m currently a student, and I’m relocating from Florida to New Jersey. I need help moving and money for my rent .

Dan Winkler
January 28, 2020 at 1:19 am

I’m 61 single disabled with a certified therapy animal. I presently live in a small townhouse apartment that is HUD sec 8. Recently underwent cancer radiation treatments in Wheeling Hospital. Have lived in the same place three years,but have been attacked, threatened and harassed in constantly deteriorating grounds and building which landlord won’t consider repairs unless I move. I live in Cambridge Ohio and I need to move closer to friends and family in Willard Ohio area. Unsure if I will be able to get my security deposit back from here even though it has no damages.done by us. Stagnant potential here leaves me isolated and shut in most of the time I need financial help for deposits, utilities, and help with moving. I have several heavy funiture and stuff I need to get help with moving. I have no friends and family here to help and low income.

Judy Dodson
January 30, 2020 at 5:21 pm

I have a friend in DE who is disabled and lives with his mother. He only has room for a place to sleep there. All his belongings are in several storage buildings. He lived in NC but went to DE to help his sick mother. Someone rear-ended him at a traffic light and caused serious injuries. He lost his house in NC and has been unable to work for several years now. His mother is failing and will be moving in with a younger son who has a very small house and no room for him. When she moves he will be homeless unless he can get to TN with his belongings. He will be moving to my house so he can have help with his surgeries and treatments. I am also disabled and now on SS, but I do not have funds to move him and no one to help with the actual moving of belongings. Please tell me what and where I can apply for some help for him. He has a home with me if I can get him here. We have been trying to find help for over a year without luck….time growing short. He does not need help with utilities, etc–we just need to get him from there to here with his stuff! Help!

Brenda Furtick
February 27, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I am trying to get funds to relocate from Ocala Florida to Syracuse. I am a 67 year old female in Social Security . I was employed and also collecting social security but after the loss of my job it has been difficult to obtain a new one. My brother has a town house that’s he has made available to me which would allow me to live better with just my social security benefits any assistance I can get would be a great help

February 28, 2020 at 12:28 am

Hello I am 62 and need help with getting a pickup truck So I can move out of a situation. I have an abusive, manipulative, Slob and I can’t deal with it any more. I’m on Social Security, and only get around 750 a month and 400 goes on rent 150 electric. I need to move back to WV where everyone I know My Family, and real friends are. I’m tired of being treated like a dog and abusive words, and names every day, Yelled at for no reason to make him Feel like a big man. It’s everyday. No matter How hard I clean he trashes it in no time. And does nothing to help with all his clutter and messes. I’m getting to old for this, My kids never trashed a house everyday. I’m tired of being the Maid. I just want to leave this place so I can hopefully live by myself somewhere at home. So please any help getting a truck and some money to pay for gas. I’ll make monthly payments till I pay it all back. Thank You for reading this.

Theresa Oliver
March 9, 2020 at 1:29 am

I am Theresa Oliver by name, I live in USA, Few months ago I was in financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. and due to my profession as i am a single mother, with 2 kids and the whole world seemed like it was hanging on me, and i complain and disscuss with a friend of mine on social media, who lives in (POLAND) who referred me to a very reliable lender called (Mrs Antonia Rowan) from (CREDIT-SUISSE) Loan Services, she was the saviour GOD sent to rescue my family with a loan $ 85,000.00 USD with 3% interest rate, without any stress.

Carrie Hill
March 9, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Hi am a disabled women and am live in Oregon and trying to move back home to nashua nh so I can take care of my mom and be with my kids and grandchildren. I been looking for a grant every where and cant find one. So if you know of any way or Grant’s that could help me please let me know. Thank you

Myrtle Tippit
March 10, 2020 at 10:34 am

I just relocated back here from North Carolina ..Had to leave everything thing behind except Agee clothes. I now need money for utilities deposit and money to go back to North Carolina. I am 63 years old and disabled .Had to file bankruptcy before I left North Carolina. My health was failing need to get close to family maybe some of them will help. But they can’t help with money which I need . Thanks Help!!!!!

Charlotte Alltop
March 13, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Please help my family and I move.

May 27, 2020 at 2:24 am

I have a question but it’s a bit hard to get to it without explaining what’s going on. I am currently on section 8 housing and because of covid my job closed and I hadn’t worked since March 20th but I am receiving unemployment now and multiple things have happened…first my recertification appointment was April 15th but I was able to talk with my case worker and send my paperwork thru email on April 13th. On May 14th I called my case worker because I still hadn’t received anything from housing and couldn’t get ahold of her so I called the main number and got to talk with a lady that said that my case worker no longer worked there and my paperwork was never filed…I was asked to resend my paperwork which I did right away and I was given a new case worker. I received a text from my landlord stating that they were sending me paperwork because they were raising my rent. I waited a week and text my landlord asking if she was sending me the paperwork and she didn’t respond. It has been about two weeks and today I received a text to call her and when I did she tells me that she is not renewing the lease and they are selling the house. My lease is up the last day of June and now I have to find a way to get money to move and a deposit and move my kids schools again. Going through all this is so horrible and with 3 kids … I put in my change of income back in April but since it wasn’t turned in until I re-sent it on May 14th ( which was not my fault) so now it takes up to 45 days to take effect so I will still have to pay the higher amount of rent for the house I am at along with moving and deposit for another home…I asked about any programs to help get my own home but with being on unemployment I am sure I will not be able to qualify. My question is what can I do to ensure my kids and I have a place to live? Housing said they will work hard to get me a voucher to start looking for another place but they also said with covid people are having a hard time because owners are not wanting to show houses or have the risk for exposure. I have already been looking online all day looking for a home thru section 8 and there are hardly any available especially in my children’s school areas or close to where we are now plus many are not showing homes because of covid. I have been an emotional wreck today and I feel stuck and my children and I may end up on the streets now. Please help.

August 28, 2020 at 7:41 pm

I’m unable to do simple tasks my mom is in bad shape to at 75 after a stroke we need better medicL as were declining are there any real resources to help us we can’t even go through to pack and try to sell some small things. Neither can drive and I want to know are there any real legal assistance out there to help usher to NJ from Fl it’s a critical point things are so bad and difficult the stress is killing me being totally helpless at 53 having many serious disabilities for 27 yrs and now illnesses not being addressed my mom is decking as well

P Phillips
September 12, 2020 at 8:19 am

Need financial aid for a rental. Me and my boyfriend just moved to Kentucky to be with our best friends and to assist them, they’re in there 70s she has had surgery on her back and has difficulty doing daily activities. And he has back problems. They’re both on disability. I have got a part time job, but we’re being evicted because they won’t let us be put on the lease. We have 2 week’s or less than We will be homeless. In desperate need of help to rent another place. Have found one but need 1500 to move in.

James Bushelman
September 13, 2020 at 1:46 am

How do i get assistance, i need help moving to Florida from ohio, i have a job working for the state of Florida but dont have the money to move or get a place to live.
Can you help

Christine Speaks
September 18, 2020 at 10:57 pm

I have property and I have moble home but I don’t have the money to move the moble home. I lost my job 2 months ago after having ankle surgery. There’s mold in this old house and I need to move for health reasons. Please HELP!

Leave a Comment

Table of Contents

Get FREE quotes from Professional Movers