Relocating can be an experience of its own, especially if it involves a long-distance move. There are many reasons people choose to relocate; from retirement to marriage and even work transfer. Whatever your reason is, you want to make the experience as seamless as possible.
The moving company you hire to handle your long-distance relocation will to a large extent determine how comfortable and problem-free your relocation will be. The problem, however, is getting the right moving company to handle your specific relocation need.
This can be a lot of work on its own, especially if you’ve not had a relocation in the United States before. Where do you turn to for the right suggestions when you are searching for a professional national moving company you can trust to handle your relocation needs just the way you want? We know that can be a difficult situation on its own, but you don’t need to worry too much.
Here, we have compiled a review of the best long distance moving companies in the United States to help you easily make the right selection for your particular relocation needs.
10 Best Long Distance Moving Companies in USA
1. Bekins Van Lines
Established as far back as 1891, Bekins Van Lines is certainly the oldest serving household moving company in America. The company stands out for the convenience, efficiency, and affordability it offers. When it comes to cheap and convenient interstate move, you know that Bekins Van Lines is just the right fit for you. Bekins Van Lines has grown from a company that once specialized in the movement of households, to an all-inclusive company that offers everything from a military move to household and even government relocation.
2. U-Pack Moving
Looking for a moving company that effectively combines moving, self-packing and unpacking services? Then U-pack Moving is definitely the answer you want. With full operation in US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, your moving needs across the countries will be met. From long distance move, to door to door moving and equipment moving, U-pack Moving combines its years of experience with the skills of some of the industry’s finest operators to offer you the best. The company which has been in operation since 1997, compares favorably with the industry’s best, offering affordable and customer based movement locally and internationally. The company since its start has moved over 850,000 families, through over one billion miles, so its knowledge of popular and unpopular routes in the USA is undoubted.
3. Neighbors Moving and Storage
Having earned the award for movers of the year from Consumer Business Review for the last three consecutive years, you know that there’s no way this company is a pushover in the relocation and movement industry. The top rated moving and storage firm is well experienced in the industry, and it uses its experience well to provide excellent moving and storage services for customers all around America. Neighbors Moving and Storage lives on a reputation of being committed to providing the highest quality customer service in the industry. It specializes in all services relating to local and long distance movement, also providing expert parking services, and secured storage so that you will not lack what you need.
4. National Van Lines
Whether you are moving within a neighborhood, across states, or simply going from one world to another, National Van Lines provides just the right service to fit your moving needs. The company operates on the belief that moving doesn’t have to be difficult, hence it has provided just everything a customer needs to move seamlessly within and outside America. Having been in operation since 1934, National Van Lines has been constantly improving for over 84 years, and they are certainly throwing in their experience to serve customers better. The company offers both residential and commercial moving, to help customers get the best for their relocation needs.
5. Allied Van Lines
Having been in operation for decades, the expertise of Allied Van Lines and its attention to details stands the company out as one of the best moving companies in America. Allied Van Lines through its customer’s needs tailored services makes interstate moving as smooth as a breeze. Whether you are up for an entire full-service move, or you want to source a few moving services, the company stands out for your needs. The company’s experience and expertise is unquestioned, and it is living up to its rating through the range of services it offers to benefit movers of all categories. Irrespective of customers needs, with Allied Van Lines, they are guaranteed of professionalism, affordability, and attention to details.
6. Wheaton World Wide Moving
Nothing beats having a moving company that will cover for your local, long distance and international moving needs. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Wheaton World Wide Moving operates with a belief that they can make any long distance move as simple and tailored to the customer’s needs as simple as possible. The company has operated for over 73 years, and it uses the experience and knowledge it has gained through these years to set itself as one of the best in the ever competitive market. With over 350 moving agents around America, you know that your moving needs will be met, even if you are in the most remote areas of America. The company also covers international relocation, so if you want to finally live your international relocation dreams, you know that Wheaton is the right company to turn to. Wheaton operates as a full-service company, so you are sure that your moving needs will be met in the best way possible.
7. North American Van Lines
With services covering some of the most pressing movers’ needs in America, North American Van Lines is certainly deserving of its place among the moving elites in the United States. The company is indeed an excellent choice for short and long-distance moves. With over 87 years in active business and some of Americas best drivers and movement managers in its employment, North American Van Lines can never be a pushover in the long-distance movement industry. Furthermore, the company gives you the liberty of choosing your preferred service, as a method to better tailor their services to your particular moving needs. So when you want excellent movement services combined with top-notch customer care, you know that no company offers it as good as North American Van Lines.
8. Stevens Worldwide Van Lines
With over 110 years experience in the provision of top-notch long distance moving services, you know for sure that Stevens Worldwide Van Lines is not a pushover in the industry. The company offers quality services rangingfrom affordability to worldwide coverage, boasting an incredible clientele of over 15,000 families every year, and it provides custom moving services for each family so excellently without compromising the quality it represents at any point. Notable services offered by the company include; affordable moving, storage options, packing and unpacking services.
9. Atlas Van Lines
Having stayed over 70 years in the business of property movement, Atlas Van Lines is well one of America’s oldest serving moving company. The company that was founded in 1948 through a corporation of local storage and transfer firms has grown over time to become one of the best moving firm in America. The experience the company has gathered combined with a well-grounded knowledge about all aspects of a move combines well to make Atlas Van Lines one of the top rated moving companies since the turn of the 21st century. The company offers almost every moving service you will need locally and internationally, making your move as seamless as possible. As long as it is a long distance move, think of Atlas Van Lines to offer you excellent services for your money.
10. United Van Lines
Consider a total business experience of over 90 years and a total road coverage of 135 billion miles since starting and you’ll know that it’s no mistake that United Van Lines has found its way to the top of our list. The company which prides itself in its knowledge of every aspect of a relocation is certainly one of the best in the USA when it comes to overall moving experience and the customer relation that it offers. For a company of its caliber in size and operation, it is not surprising that they have the expertise enough to bring custom tailored experience to each of their clients. With 7,500 trucks and nearly 5,000 drivers under its cover, you are sure going to have the experience to remember when you hire United Van Lines to handle the job of long distance move for you.
THE FOLLOWING TABLE DISPLAYS the Best Long Distance Moving Companies in USA:
|No.||Best Long Distance Moving Companies||Website|
|1.||Bekins Van Lines||www.bekins.com
|3.||Neighbors Moving and Storage||www.neighborsmoving.com
|4.||National Van Lines||www.nationalvanlines.com
|5.||Allied Van Lines||www.allied.com
|6.||Wheaton World Wide Moving||www.wheatonworldwide.com
|7.||North American Van Lines||www.northamerican.com
|8.||Stevens Worldwide Van Lines||www.stevensworldwide.com|
|9.||Atlas Van Lines||www.atlasvanlines.com
|10.||United Van Lines||www.unitedvanlines.com
How Much Will Your Long Distance Move Cost?
Now that you know the various moving companies to rely on for your relocation needs, the planning process for your movement has become a tad easier. Apart from knowing the best companies that will handle your relocation needs efficiently, there are other things that you should be aware of too; one such is relocation cost. Planning a relocation budget can be tricky at times as most customers often meet hidden costs attached to their relocation needs and this can create a lot of discomfort, considering that you are most probably operating on limited finance.
To help you beat such situations, we’ve helped you compute some hard figures you can count on. To achieve this, we looked into the quotes of a number of long-distance moving companies and with the figure, we gathered from them, we’ve prepared this guide to help you in every way possible prepare a budget for your long distance move.
In order to compute the exact cost needed for long distance move in America, we used a one-bedroom apartment with boxes and furniture averaging 390 cubic feet to create our example move plan. We then got quotes from long distance movers for to and from movements across different destinations across the country.
Cost of Long Distance Movement
From our computation, we found that the cost of moving a one bedroom apartment ranges between $480 and $4469 depending almost completely on your pick-up/drop-off locations. For example, a move from LA to NY will cost you an average of $2,863, while a reverse of the same move will cost you an average of $2,586. Of course, the price may get a bit lower or higher than this, depending on the particular company you’re hiring, but you should know that price often determines how efficient and professional a company is, hence companies that offer excessively cheap long distance move may not always be the best choice.
Yes, moving services take most of the cost of relocation, but there are also other costs that are not included in the quotes which you should expect. They include:
- Shuttle fee: You don’t expect an 18 wheeler used for cross-country movement to reach every doorstep, especially if you are moving into a dense urban area. In situations like this, you’ll need the service of a shuttle to penetrate the area right to your door, and this service normally costs between $250-$500, depending on the location and of course, your truck’s size.
- Storage in Transit: Depending on the distance you’re moving between, you may often fall in need of short-term storage during the moving process. The cost of storage on transit is calculated by volume:
- 1 Bedroom, small (390cf) = $253
- 1 Bedroom, large (524cf) = $341
- 2 Bedrooms (892cf) = $580
- 3 Bedroom (1215cf) = $790
- 4 Bedroom (1815cf) = $1,179
- Insurance: The quote includes a default insurance package of 60 cents per Ib. You may choose to spend on providing more insurance for yourself, which is highly advisable.
Independent insurance purchase Costs around $10 for ever $1,000 of valued goods.
How To Cut Costs During Long Distance Move
Hiring professionals to handle your relocation needs is seamless, but it comes with its own cost which can climb to as much as several thousand dollars sometimes. Thankfully, there are a number of things you could do to help you reduce the cost and save money, during any move.
Here are a few of them:
- Find as many free boxes as possible: Moving boxes are quite expensive; cutting down their purchase is cutting down moving cost. Before parking, try to seek free moving boxes and supplies from the store, community groups, and friends. Seeking free boxes from these sources is easier than you think and it will sure cut down hundreds of dollars from your moving expense.
- Choose cheaper moving date and time: Cost attached to moving on certain dates and time differs. If you want to save a little more during your move, then picking the right date should help you. The date and time you allocate for your move can make all the difference in the cost of hiring a professional moving company. Understand that the peak moving season in America falls between May and August, hence pushing your move out of that time will save you a lot of money. Additionally, mid-week and mid-month moves are normally cheaper, since demands are lower at such times.
- Get quotes from different companies: Getting quotes from different companies will not only open you to the additional services each offers, but it will also help you know which company offers your preferred moving services at the cheapest rate. Make sure to receive quotes from up to 3 or more companies, before picking the best.
- Pack everything yourself: Of course, the services of most professional moving companies include parking and to be sincere, they speed up the moving process, but that doesn’t go without its additional cost. Paying professionals for packing is quite expensive, sometimes climbing up to several hundred dollars. Ask relevant questions and pick the company that allows you to pack by yourself. If they do, leverage on the number of your family and a few friends to pack up everything before the move.
- Purge before packing: Dropping some of the items you don’t really need is one sure way to cut down expenses during a move. Check for the clothes you don’t need anymore, the electronics that are out of date and other unnecessary furniture. Drop them to reduce your moving weight and of course your moving expenses.
There you have it, a guide to help you pick the best moving company in USA. We’ve highlighted the services offered by each, so you’ll know the company that offers the specific service you need. Leverage on the information provided in this guide to make your long distance move as easy as possible.